Who doesn’t love a good sheet pan chicken recipe? This sheet pan citrus chicken is so easy to prepare and so flavorful and the variety of citrus fruits makes it a beautiful weeknight meal. This citrus chicken recipe is going to be a new family favorite and you can try so many different variations of it! Try it with all lemons, or all oranges or use sweet potatoes or cauliflower. The possibilities are endless for this sheet pan chicken dinner.
You will love how easy this sheet pan chicken recipe is and how beautiful it is.
You can use any variety of citrus you like or a mix (like I did) depending on what’s available and what’s in season. Here is what I used for this citrus chicken recipe:
- Cara Cara Oranges
You could use any variety of citrus – such as navel oranges, grapefruit, or tangerines and this recipe will still be absolutely delicious.
This sheet pan citrus chicken is SO easy to prepare. All you do is juice a couple clementines and slice up the rest of your citrus. To the clementine (or orange or lemon) juice, add a few sauce ingredients and whisk to combine. From there, just arrange all the ingredients on a baking sheet and pour the sauce on top. Bake for about 45 minutes and voila, dinner is served!
You can eat the fruit – peel and all – when you roast them. I recommend sprinkling the roasted citrus rounds with a bit of flaky sea salt when you serve them just to help tone down the bitterness of the rinds, but they’re completely edible and so delicious.
For this citrus chicken recipe, I used quartered potatoes and onions but really most vegetables will work here! Try this citrus chicken out with cauliflower, broccoli, or diced sweet potatoes.
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed
Sheet Pan Citrus Chicken
- Sheet pan
Sheet Pan Citrus Chicken
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs or drumsticks or a mix
- 4 clementines trimmed and sliced into rounds
- 2 cara cara orange trimmed and sliced into rounds
- 2 lemons trimmed and sliced into rounds
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes quartered
- 1 red onion peeled and sliced into wedges
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mustard Sauce recipe follows
- Fennel pollen optional
- Flaky sea salt for serving
Prepare the Sauce:
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce and whisk to combine. If it seems too thick, add a bit of water or white wine to thin it out. Taste and season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.
Prepare the Sheet Pan:
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Pat the chicken dry and season all over with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the chicken on the sheet pan and arrange the red onions and potatoes around it. Season red onions and potatoes with salt and pepper. Sprinkle fennel pollen (if using) all over the chicken, onions, and potatoes.
- Pour the sauce over everything on the sheet pan. Arrange the sliced citrus fruits on top.
Bake the Citrus Chicken:
- Transfer to the oven and bake for about 40 minutes until and instant-read thermometer reaches 165ºF.
- After the chicken has baked, turn the broiler on and broil for 2-5 minutes or until the citrus chars and the chicken skin crisps up.
- Divide the cooked vegetables between plates and place a chicken thigh on top. Arrange a few pieces of charred citrus on top and sprinkle with flaky sea salt and a bit more fennel pollen, if using. Spoon a few tablespoons of sauce from the sheet pan over each dish. Enjoy!