This simple salad with green tomato salsa verde is is perfect for summer and has a delightful piquant punch!
Unripe tomatoes can be quite acidic, but when coupled with extra virgin olive oil, garlic, jalapeño, and a little honey, they transform into a bright topping for a salad and work well enough in place of traditional tomatillos.
When I think of green tomatoes, I immediately go to deliciously battered and deep fried with a cornmeal crust. Over the past few weeks in quarantine, I’ve enjoyed exploring the acidic flavors of green tomatoes the most. I’ve been developing recipes that highlight their wonderful acidity. In Maryland, you can typically get unripe tomatoes throughout the course of the summer tomato season, so you’ll be able to enjoy these recipes throughout the summer.
This salsa verde is a perfect blend of acid, salt, fat and heat with a little sugar from the honey. We use it on top of a simple salad but you can use this green tomato salsa on burgers or chicken sandwiches.
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below. Leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Simple Salad with Green Tomato Salsa Verde
- Food processor
- 1 large green tomato cored and quartered
- 1 jalapeño trimmed and thinly sliced into rounds (optional)
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil plus more if needed
- ¼ cup water plus more if desired
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 ounces peppery salad mix such as an arugula blend
- Sliced avocado
- Sliced radishes or cucumber optional, thinly sliced
- Aleppo pepper optional, for garnish
- Combine the green tomato and jalapeño in a food processor and pulse until very finely minced. Add the extra virgin olive oil, water, and honey and continue pulsing until combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Dress the salad greens with a teaspoon or two of extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and black pepper. Massage gently to coat the greens with the oil. Set aside.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the core and the skin. Thinly slice and set aside.
- Arrange the dressed greens in bowls and fan the sliced avocado out in each bowl. Top with cucumber or radish, if using and spoon the green tomato salsa verde on top.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of Aleppo pepper, if desired. Enjoy!