This 5-ingredient vegan corn and leek soup recipe is SO easy to make and is extra flavorful thanks to throwing in the bare corn cobs to simmer with the broth.
I’ve been hard at work on testing 5-ingredient recipes and WHEW. It has been a big challenge to get big flavor from so few ingredients. I don’t want to rely too heavily on pre-made ingredients (like pre-made sauces or soups) that can often have extra sodium has been a challenge.
For this 5-ingredient soup, I use fresh summer corn and lots of silk chili flakes. You can read more about silk chili flakes in my post, The Art of the Garnish. In short, silk chili brings a more complex flavor than standard chili flakes. It’ll give you smoky, fruity, spicy undertones that really help elevate this corn and leek soup recipe.
The other way to get big flavor is by using the corn cobs in the broth. I actually just learned about this tip after I posted my Vegan Quinoa-Corn Chowder recipe. A few people commented and told me I had to try simmering the shorn corn cobs in the broth. And they were right! It added so much extra flavor to this simple dinner recipe.
How to make this vegan corn and leek soup recipe:
Disclaimer: This recipe has 5 core ingredients. I do not count water, salt, pepper, and cooking oil as “core” ingredients.
Making this soup is a breeze! Start by sautéing sliced sleeks and then add corn cut from the cob. Season liberally with the silk chili flakes and then add drained white beans.
From there, add water (or vegetable stock, if you prefer!) and bring to a boil. Toss in the corn cobs and simmer for 30 minutes until thickened. Taste and add extra salt, pepper, or more silk chili as you like.
From there, discard the cobs and serve the soup with lots of minced chives.
You’ll love this 5-ingredient vegan soup as a foundational recipe or on its own! Try adding extra veggies to it or serving it with crushed tortilla chips. There’s plenty of room to get creative with it.
Vegan Corn and Leek Soup
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 2 leeks trimmed, washed, and sliced
- 3 ears of corn husked and cut from the cobs, cobs reserved
- 2 15- ounce cans of white beans drained and rinsed or use 1 cup dry white beans, soaked overnight
- 1 teaspoon silk chili flakes or use red pepper flakes to taste
- 4–5 cups water or vegetable stock
- .5 ounce fresh chives minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
Sauté the leeks:
- Heat the oil in a wide pot over medium heat. Add the sliced leeks and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 8-10 minutes until they begin to soften.
Cook the corn and beans:
- Add the corn kernels and cook for 4 minutes. Add the silk chili and toss to coat. Cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the beans to the pot and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
Simmer the soup:
- Pour in 4 cups of water and add the bare corn cobs. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent the soup from sticking. If you’d like a thinner broth, add another cup of water or stock. Taste and season once more to your preferences.
- Remove and discard the corn cobs. Add half the minced chives and simmer for 2-3 minutes more.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with the remaining minced chives and more silk chili flakes if you like. Enjoy!