This easy vegan quinoa-corn chowder is a delicious vegan chowder recipe! It’s easy, 5-ingredients, and a perfect vegan comfort dinner recipe!
This vegan chowder recipe is just incredible. It’s so easy to make, and you need just 5 core ingredients. What can be better than that? It only takes about 40–50 minutes from start to finish. The result? A flavorful, foundational recipe that is the perfect vehicle for any topping you can possibly imagine.
Here’s what you need:
- Corn, preferably cut from the cob though frozen works too!
- Plant-based cream or coconut milk
You’ll also need oil, water, salt, and pepper. Want to upgrade this meal? Here are a few ideas for toppings:
- Sliced jalapeño
- Cilantro leaves
- Crispy tortilla chips or crushed crackers
- Minced red onion
- Chopped fresh tomatoes
For this vegan chowder, you can get creative with other ingredients too. Try it with these upgrades:
- Charred, chopped poblano peppers
- Roasted or freshly minced garlic
- Spinach or kale
- Chorizo tofu crumbles
- White beans for extra protein!
How to make this vegan quinoa-corn chowder recipe:
This vegan corn chowder recipe is so easy to make too, and it’s the perfect vegan comfort dinner recipe.
First, sauté the potato until it just begins to soften. Add the rinsed quinoa to the potato and cook briefly until it just begins to toast a bit.
Next, pour in water or vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the quinoa is tender.
From there, simply add the corn, cilantro, and plant-based cream and simmer for an additional 5 or so minutes. That’s it! It comes together ridiculously fast.
Looking for more vegan recipes? Check my archives or check out my vegan recipe blog for more vegan recipes!
Vegan Quinoa-Corn Chowder
- Large pot
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 5–6 cups of water or vegetable stock
- 2 ears of sweet corn husked and cut from the cob
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro minced
- 6 ounces plant-based cream or coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced jalapeño
Cook the potatoes and quinoa:
- Heat 1 tablespoon neutral oil in a wide pot over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and season liberally with salt and pepper. Cook in the oil for 6–7 minutes, turning occasionally, until they just begin to soften.
- Add the quinoa to the potatoes and cook for 1 minute.
Simmer the chowder:
- Pour in 5 cups of water or vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Once boiling, reduce heat to a hard simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until the quinoa is tender. If the soup is too thick, add the remaining 1 cup water or stock.
Finish the chowder:
- Add the corn, cilantro, and cream to the soup and simmer for an additional 5–6 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the chowder into bowls. Garnish with jalapeño slices, a lime wedge, and a few more cilantro leaves if you like. Enjoy!