This 15-minute smoky brothy beans is full of rich, smoky flavors thanks to smoked paprika, crushed red pepper, and a splash of heavy cream.
Everyone knows how much I love brothy beans and this super simple smoky creamy brothy bean recipe is everything and more. In this 15 minute recipe, I added whole wheat Israeli couscous to make this a heart, simple meal.
It is seriously so easy to prepare and you only need a handful of ingredients. Best of all, it’s pretty infinitely versatile. Throw in protein, like shredded chicken or ground turkey. Or, throw in extra vegetables like fresh spinach or arugula or diced carrots or sweet potatoes. If you don’t have whole wheat Israeli couscous, use semolina Israeli couscous or try this with orzo or ditalini.
How to Make this 15-Minute Smoky Brothy Beans:
It’s easy peasy, I swear. Start by sautéing onions. Next, add a little butter and minced garlic. Throw in the Israeli couscous and cook until it’s a little toasted. Add stock, beans, and spices and let it simmer over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes or until the couscous is tender.
From there, simply add the lemon juice and cream and let it cook for a minute or two. That’s it!
Looking for more vegetarian recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
15-Minute Smoky Brothy Beans
- Wide pot
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup whole wheat pearl couscous also known as Israeli Couscous or ptitim
- 3-4 cups stock plus more, as needed
- 15 ounce can white beans such as cannellini, navy, great northern, or butter; drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1-2 teaspoons smoked paprika plus more, if desired
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper more or less, to taste
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/3 cup heavy cream optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook the Aromatics:
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 2-4 minutes until the onion just begins to sweat and soften.
- Add the butter and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Cook the Couscous:
- Add the couscous and cook for 1 minute until it begins to toast slightly.
- Add 3 cups of stock and bring to a boil.
Simmer the Couscous:
- Stir in the white beans and add the parsley, thyme, smoked paprika, and crushed red pepper. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until the couscous is tender. Add more stock, as necessary or desired, depending on how brothy you want the dish to be. Taste and add more smoked paprika, if desired.
Finish the Brothy Beans:
- Taste the beans and season as you like. Stir in the lemon juice and heavy cream and cook 1 more minute. Turn off the heat.
- Ladle the smoky brothy beans into bowls. Garnish with more smoked paprika, parsley, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, if desired. Enjoy!