This spicy chicken quinoa soup is an incredible way to eat soup with quinoa! It’s easy to prepare and this soup recipe with quinoa is so filling! This easy chicken soup recipe will find its way into your weeknight recipe rolodex!
This chicken quinoa soup is ridiculously easy to prepare. It won’t take long at all before you’ll have a filling, comforting bowl of spicy soup on your table!
If you want a quick, easy, delicious, and flavorful chicken soup recipe, look no further than this spicy chicken quinoa soup.
How to Make this Spicy Chicken Quinoa Soup Recipe:
This recipe comes together fairly quickly and doesn’t involve a ton of prep work! Fortunately, you’ll want to briefly marinate your chicken which gives you plenty of time to prep your vegetables.
First, you’ll marinate the chicken in a blend of spices. I use chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne powder, and paprika. I also throw a sprinkle of cobanero chili flakes for extra heat but you can omit. Or, add a bit of extra red pepper flakes if you want it even spicier.
While the chicken is marinating, prepare your other veggies. This recipe doesn’t have a ton of dicing or chopping, but you will need to chop up an onion and a jalapeño. Depending on what you use for garnish, you will want to prepare that now as well. I topped mine with avocado, chopped cilantro, extra jalapeño and some sliced radishes!
Looking for another great soup recipe? Try looking through my archives for inspiration!
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed!
Spicy Chicken Quinoa Soup
- Large pot
- 6 chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons chili powder divided
- 2 tablespoons cumin divided
- 4 teaspoons paprika divided
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder divided
- 2 teaspoons cayenne powder divided (more or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon butter optional
- 1 large onion peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeño trimmed and diced
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 15- ounce can black beans drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced radishes
- Diced avocado
- Cilantro leaves
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
Marinate the Chicken:
- Pat the chicken thighs dry and place in a bowl. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil. Season with 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon cumin, 2 teaspoons paprika, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 teaspoon cayenne powder and toss to coat.
- Transfer to the fridge as you prepare the remaining ingredients. It really only needs to marinate for 15-20 minutes giving you time to prep the remaining ingredients and prep your garnishes.
Fry the Chicken:
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and cook the chicken, in batches, for 5 minutes per side until browned and charred all over. Transfer to a cutting board. Note: The chicken will not be cooked through when you remove it from the pan. It will continue to cook in the broth.
- Drain off all but two teaspoons of oil in the pot.
Cook the Aromatics:
- If using, melt the butter into the oil in the pot. Add the onion and cook for 7-8 minutes until it begins to turn golden brown around the edges.
- Add the jalapeño and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder and cayenne powder and cook for 45 seconds until fragrant. Add the quinoa and toss to coat and cook for 1 minute more.
- Pour in the chicken stock and add the black beans. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer. Season to taste.
Finish the Soup:
- Dice the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add it to the soup. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the quinoa is tender and the chicken is cooked through. Taste and season again right before serving, if needed.
- Divide the soup between bowls and garnish how you like. Enjoy!
Pin this recipe for later!