This wild mushroom pasta with almonds and capers is a wonderful recipe for learning how to make mushroom pasta.
This wild mushroom pasta is a thing of beauty. It’s so easy to prepare and so versatile and so full of incredible flavor. The earthy mushrooms pair perfectly with wilted escarole. The garnish is briny with sweet, nutty undertones thanks to almonds. It’s a simple recipe but doesn’t lack in creative flavors!
This recipe is unbelievably simple. The trick to this flavor profile? A simple garnish prepared before you start the pasta sauce that you pile on at the end.
Making this recipe is a breeze. First, prepare the almonds and capers garnish. Simply sauté a shallot until it just begins to turn translucent and slightly golden around the edges, about 2-3 minutes. Next, add the slivered almonds and cook for 3-4 minutes, tossing occasionally, until they toast up nicely. Finally, add drained capers and cook them for 1-2 minutes. The almonds should be nicely golden brown and the shallots should just begin to char. Turn off the heat and throw them together with minced parsley.
Next, prepare the rest of the recipe! I promise, this recipe is unbelievably easy.
First, make the pasta and scoop out 3/4 cup pasta cooking water and set aside. As you wait for the water to boil, cook the onion and then mushrooms. Finally, deglaze the pot with wine, add the pasta cooking water, add the escarole and cook until the escarole is wilted. Toss in your pasta and that’s it! Serve it up with the deliciously briny garnish! You will simply love the way the almonds and capers on pasta work together!
What kind of mushrooms should I use?
That’s easy…(nearly) ANY! I used a mix of oyster, maitake, and cremini. Try this recipe out with a mix of foraged and farmed mushrooms for maximum flavor. You can even use rehydrated morels or shiitakes in this recipe! Try this recipe with:
- Morels–soak and rinse thoroughly and only cook toward the end
- Diced king oyster
Looking for more vegetarian recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this wild mushroom pasta recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed!
Wild Mushroom Pasta with Almonds and Capers
- Wide pot
- Large pot
Almond and Caper Garnish:
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 shallot peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons capers drained
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves minced
Wild Mushroom Pasta:
- 16 ounces linguine ¾ cup pasta cooking water reserved
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and thinly sliced into half-moons
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1½ pounds mixed mushrooms sliced, diced, or torn depending on variety
- ½ cup white wine or vegetable stock
- 1 head escarole roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prepare the Almond and Caper Garnish:
- In a wide pot, heat 2 teaspoons avocado oil over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for 2-3 minutes until it just begins to soften. Continue cooking until the edges turn golden brown. Be careful not to burn the shallot.
- Add the almonds and cook for 1-2 minutes until just beginning to toast. Turn the heat to medium high-and add the capers. Cook, tossing regularly, for 2-3 minutes more until the almonds are golden brown. Turn off the heat and immediately transfer to a bowl.
- Add the minced parsley to the bowl and toss to combine. Set aside.
Cook the Pasta:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve ¾ cup of the pasta cooking water and drain the pasta. Set aside.
Prepare the Wild Mushroom Sauce:
- While you wait for the pasta water to boil, cook the mushroom sauce in the same pot you used to make the almond garnish.
- Heat the oil in the pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Melt the butter into the pot and add the mushrooms. Cook for 12-15 minutes until the mushrooms crisp up and turn a deep golden brown. Season with salt and pepper.
Finish the Wild Mushroom Sauce:
- Add the white wine to the pot and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in ½ cup of the pasta cooking water and bring to a boil for 5-6 minutes until reduced slightly.
- Turn the heat to low and add the escarole. Cook until just wilted, about 4 minutes. Season again with salt and pepper. If the sauce reduces too much, add a bit more of the pasta cooking water.
Finish the Wild Mushroom Pasta:
- Add the pasta to the pot and toss to coat. Cook 1-2 minutes until glossy. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the pasta between plates and garnish with the almond caper garnish. Enjoy!