This balsamic farro salad with figs is sweet, savory, and filling thanks to roasted figs, cherry tomatoes, and an easy balsamic vinaigrette.
I love salads that are simple to prepare and full of flavor, which is why I absolutely love this farro salad with figs. Roasting the figs and tomatoes creates a depth of flavor that you won’t get from just tossing them in raw (although you can totally do that, too)!
This recipe is ultra easy to make. Simply prep all the ingredients while the farro is cooking and then toss everything together and serve…it’s that easy!
How to make this Balsamic Farro Salad with Figs:
First, you’re going to boil the farro. It takes about 30 minutes for the farro to become tender.
While the farro is boiling, prepare all the salad ingredients. You’ll roast the figs and tomatoes for about 15-20 minutes and then broil them until they tops become nice and charred.
From there, it’s just a matter of dressing the greens with a little oil and salt. Finally, you’ll whip up a quick balsamic vinaigrette. After that, simply drain the farro and toss everything together! It’s an amazing, filling salad that’s loaded with incredible flavors.
Looking for more vegetarian recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Balsamic Farro Salad with Figs
- Small pot
- Sheet pan
- Fine mesh sieve
- 1 cup farro rinsed
- 1 pint figs halved
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes some halved, some left whole
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 5 ounces baby greens such as chard, arugula, or kale
- 2 ounces basil leaves torn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons agave optional
- Salt to taste
Prepare the Farro:
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add the farro and turn the heat to a low boil. Boil for 30 minutes until tender. Drain and rinse quickly.
Roast the Figs and Tomatoes:
- Arrange the figs (cut side up) and tomatoes on a sheet pan. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Transfer to the oven for 15 minutes or until the tomatoes begin to soften and turn golden brown.
- Turn the broiler on and broil until the tomatoes char and the tops of the figs turn golden brown. Turn off the heat.
Dress the Greens:
- Combine the basil leaves and baby greens in a large bowl. Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
Prepare the Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- In a bowl, whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, and agave (if using) until emulsified. Season with a sprinkle of salt. Set aside and whisk before serving.
Prepare the Salad:
- Transfer the farro to the bowl of greens and toss to combine. Pour the balsamic vinegar on top and toss to coat. Add half the figs and tomatoes and gently toss.
- Divide the salads between plates and top with the remaining roasted figs and tomatoes. Garnish with a sprinkle of salt. Enjoy!