This creamy chicken tomato soup is so, so warming and easy to prepare. Loaded with carrots, potatoes, and beans, this soup is a satisfying dinner; perfect for a weeknight or weekend dinner.
Creamy Chicken Tomato Soup
- Large soup pot
- 6 chicken thighs bone-in, skin-on
- 8 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper more or less to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large carrots
- 1 pound baby potatoes
- 2 15- ounce cans cannellini beans
- 1 28- ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Dry chives crushed red pepper, and extra virgin olive oil (optional, for garnish)
Prepare the Chicken:
- Combine the chicken thighs, water, and 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper in a wide soup pot and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper and then reduce heat and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Periodically skim off any fat or scum from the surface of the broth.
- Once the chicken is cooked through. transfer the chicken thighs to a bowl and allow them to cool down slightly. Discard the skin and then shred the meat from the bones and discard the bones.
- As the chicken is boiling, prepare the ingredients. Peel and slice the carrots into angled rounds. Scrub the potatoes and quarter if large or halve if small.
Prepare the Soup:
- Add the sliced carrots and potatoes to the broth along with the beans and crushed tomatoes. Season with thyme, garlic powder, and more crushed red pepper if desired. Add the shredded chicken and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
Finish the Soup:
- Pour in the heavy cream and cook an additional 5 minutes to warm through. Taste and season to your preferences.
- Ladle the creamy chicken soup into bowls and garnish with chives, crushed red pepper, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, if desired. Enjoy!