This creamy chicken tomato soup is so easy to prepare. It’s loaded with carrots, potatoes, and beans and makes for a perfectly satisfying weeknight soup recipe.
I love an easy chicken soup recipe and this creamy chicken tomato soup is one of my favorites. It is a truly no muss, no fuss recipe that tastes absolutely delicious.
Who doesn’t love a simple weeknight soup recipe? This is one you can throw together in an hour from start to finish, but half of that time is completely inactive.
How to make this creamy chicken tomato soup recipe:
Making this soup is an absolute breeze. Start by making a simple homemade chicken broth. To keep it easy, you boil bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs with crushed red pepper. This will give you the most flavorful broth! Skim the top as the thighs cook. After they’re cooked through, just take them out of the broth and let them cool off.
At this point, you can strain the broth through a sieve. But if you’ve done a good job skimming the foam, it’s really not necessary. For this recipe, you just throw carrots, potatoes, beans, and a can of crushed tomato straight into the broth. Add that shredded chicken along with a shake of thyme and garlic powder and let it simmer until the potatoes and carrots are fork-tender.
To finish it up, stir in some heavy cream and that is it. It’s so easy but so flavorful and perfect for a weeknight soup recipe.
The best part? You can easily turn this into a Crock-Pot meal. Simply cook the thighs in liquid on low for 4 hours. Then, skim off any foam and add all the ingredients except the heavy cream. Add in the shredded chicken and cook on high for 2–3 hours. Stir in the heavy cream at the very end and that’s it!
Creamy Chicken Tomato Soup
- Large soup pot
- 6 chicken thighs bone-in, skin-on
- 8 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper more or less to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large carrots
- 1 pound baby potatoes
- 2 15- ounce cans cannellini beans
- 1 28- ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Dry chives crushed red pepper, and extra virgin olive oil (optional, for garnish)
Prepare the Chicken:
- Combine the chicken thighs, water, and 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper in a wide soup pot and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper and then reduce heat and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Periodically skim off any fat or scum from the surface of the broth.
- Once the chicken is cooked through. transfer the chicken thighs to a bowl and allow them to cool down slightly. Discard the skin and then shred the meat from the bones and discard the bones.
- As the chicken is boiling, prepare the ingredients. Peel and slice the carrots into angled rounds. Scrub the potatoes and quarter if large or halve if small.
Prepare the Soup:
- Add the sliced carrots and potatoes to the broth along with the beans and crushed tomatoes. Season with thyme, garlic powder, and more crushed red pepper if desired. Add the shredded chicken and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
Finish the Soup:
- Pour in the heavy cream and cook an additional 5 minutes to warm through. Taste and season to your preferences.
- Ladle the creamy chicken soup into bowls and garnish with chives, crushed red pepper, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, if desired. Enjoy!