This porcini mushroom risotto recipe is loaded with earthy porcini mushrooms. The final product is a creamy mushroom risotto that’s worth the effort!
Try this mushroom risotto with Basil-Parmesan Chicken Meatballs!
Porcini Mushroom Risotto Recipe
- Fine mesh sieve
- 4 ounces dry porcini mushrooms
- 8 cups boiling water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion
- ½ head of garlic
- 16 ounces arborio rice
- ⅓ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup heavy cream optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded Parmesan cheese and extra virgin olive oil optional, for garnish
- Freshly minced parsley optional, for garnish
Prepare Chicken Stock:
- Peel and mince the garlic. Peel and dice the onion. Bring the 8 cups of water to a boil. Turn off the heat and place the porcini mushrooms into the water and soak for 10 minutes.
Prepare the Porcini Mushrooms:
- Drain the soaking liquid through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and return the drained liquid back to the pot. Keep the pot over low heat on the stove. Mince the porcini mushrooms and set aside.
Start the Risotto:
- In a wide pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted and frothy, add the onion and cook, stirring periodically, until the onion is golden brown and softened, about 10 minutes.
Finish the Risotto:
- Once the onions are golden brown, add the minced porcini mushrooms and the garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until the garlic is fragrant but not burned. Add the arborio rice and cook for 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 ladlefuls of the porcini soaking liquid and stir immediately. Continue stirring until the arborio rice completely absorbs the liquid. Continue adding the soaking liquid, in 2 or 3 ladleful increments and stir continuously after each addition until all the liquid has been incorporated and absorbed. This process takes about 20-30 minutes of regular stirring. Once the rice is al dente and the liquid is creamy and thick, turn the heat to low and stir in the parmesan and heavy cream. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the risotto between bowls. Garnish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese and freshly minced parsley, if desired. Enjoy!