I’m in love with seafood and green curry, and this recipe for easy green curry scallops is a super flavorful dish and so easy to prepare.
This recipe for easy green curry scallops comes together so quickly and is loaded with flavor. The secret to this recipe is using store-bought Thai curry paste but also adding a bit of sweetness and extra umami to the dish. Adding brown sugar and fish sauce adds just a little complexity of flavor that really makes this recipe a winner.
No scallops? No problem. You can make this into a seafood green curry using a variety of seafood, like shrimp, mussels, cod or squid.
How to Make Easy Green Curry Scallops:
Making this recipe is a breeze! Start by sautéing aromatics. Next, add the green curry paste and let it sizzle briefly.
Next, stir in chicken or seafood stock and bring to a boil. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, fish sauce, and soy sauce and stir it into the mixture. Next, add coconut milk and simmer it briefly. While it simmers, add cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice, and two scallions to a food processor and pulse until finely minced. Set aside half of the mixture into a bowl.
Next, add the kale, the remaining half of the cilantro-jalapeño mixture and cook it for just 1-2 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Finally, add the scallops, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. That’s it!
Looking for more seafood recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Easy Green Curry Scallops
- Wide pot
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and sliced into half moons
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste
- 3 cups chicken, vegetable, or seafood stock
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 15 ounce can coconut milk
- 5 ounces green kale chopped
- 1 jalapeño trimmed
- ¾ cup cilantro leaves and tender stems loosely packed
- 1 lime
- 2 scallions trimmed
- 1 pound scallops side muscle removed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado for serving
- Cooked white rice for serving
- Black sesame seeds for serving
Cook the Aromatics:
- Heat oil in a wide pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften and turn golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the ginger and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
Cook the Green Curry Paste:
- Add the paste to the pot and mash it into the onions. Cook for 2 minutes until it deepens in color and becomes fragrant.
Simmer the Broth:
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, fish sauce, and soy sauce in a bowl and stir it into the broth.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Prepare the Herbs:
- To a food processor, add the cilantro, juice of 1 lime, jalapeño, and scallions and pulse until finely minced. Transfer half of the mixture to a small bowl.
Finish the Broth:
- Add the remaining half of the cilantro and lime mixture to the pot along with the kale. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Cook the Scallops:
- Pat the scallops dry and season all over with salt and pepper. Using tongs, place the scallops in an even layer in the broth. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the scallops are opaque but not overcooked. Adjust the cook time according to the size of your scallops. Smaller scallops may need 3-4 minutes while larger, jumbo scallops may need 5-6 minutes.
- Once the scallops are cooked through, turn off the heat.
Prepare the Avocado Garnish:
- Peel the avocado and cut in half. Remove the pit and dice the avocado. Transfer to the bowl of remaining cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt. Set aside.
- Serve the green curry scallops with cooked white rice. Ladle the broth and scallops over the rice and spoon the avocado garnish on top. Garnish with black sesame seeds. Enjoy!