This easy lentil salad with harissa is such an incredible recipe. It takes only about 30 minutes to throw together but it doesn’t lack in bold flavor.
Just look at the colors of this beautiful lentil salad with harissa. This salad is a perfect meal prep meal. Throw everything together in your Tupperware, and enjoy it throughout the week!
Served with a sweet, spicy, smoky harissa-maple vinaigrette, this recipe is bursting with flavors. Best of all, it only takes about half an hour from start to finish.
How to Make this Easy Lentil Salad Recipe:
This recipe is a breeze. First, boil the lentils until al dente. They should not be mushy. Next, cook the carrots for about 10-15 minutes. While the carrots cook prepare the dressing and toss the tomatoes and shallots in the a few teaspoons of the dressing. Toss the tomatoes over the carrots and roast for 10 minutes more and finish them with a quick broil.
From there, simply combine the cooked lentils with herbs and a few tablespoons of dressing. Finally, divide the lentils between bowls, pile the roasted vegetables on top, and serve with more dressing on the side.
How to Modify this Recipe:
The best part of this recipe is its versatility.
Vegetables: Roast any combination of veggies for this. Try it with sweet potatoes, egg plan, zucchini. golden beets, kohlrabi. After you find a combination you like, try adding green veggies, like sugar snap peas, asparagus, or green beans.
Dressing: Add a number of spices to modify the dressing depending on what flavor profile you want to go for.
Modify this lentil salad recipe based on your tastes! Try it with these flavor combinations:
- Mexican-Inspired: Roasted sweet potatoes, corn, and cherry tomatoes as your veggies; lime juice, cumin, chili powder in the vinaigrette; cilantro as your herb.
- Asian-Inspired: Roasted carrots, steamed edamame, roasted broccoli florets as your veggies; sesame oil, rice vinegar, brown sugar, chili oil in the vinaigrette; all scallions as your herb.
- Middle Eastern-Inspired: Charred or roasted eggplant and zucchini sprinkled with za’atar as your veggies; za’atar, cumin, chili powder, and little agave instead of maple syrup in your vinaigrette; use scallions and parsley as your herb, drizzle with Greek yogurt at the end.
Looking for more vegetarian recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Easy Lentil Salad with Harissa
- Medium pot
- Fine mesh sieve
- Baking sheet
- 16 ounces green lentils
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced on a bias about ¼'' thick
- 2 Roma tomatoes cut into wedges
- 1 shallot peeled and sliced into thin wedges
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil for roasting
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon harissa powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder optional
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 scallions minced
- 1 cup loosely packed parsley minced
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
Cook the Lentils:
- Bring a medium pot of unsalted water to a boil. Add the lentils and cook until al dente, about 20 minutes. Do not salt them while they cook and do not overcook them. Drain and rinse.
Roast the Carrots:
- Meanwhile, lay the carrots slices out on a sheet pan and drizzle with avocado oil. Roast for 10 minutes until they just begin to soften and brown. Season with salt and pepper.
Prepare the Dressing:
- As the carrots roast, combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl and whisk until well-combined. taste and season to your preferences.
Prepare the Tomatoes:
- Combine the tomatoes and shallots in a small bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of the dressing. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Set aside.
Roast the Tomatoes:
- Pour the dressed tomatoes onto the sheet pan with the carrots and cook for 10 minutes more. If desired, broil for 2-3 minutes until the tops of the tomatoes char. Turn off the heat.
Finish the Salad:
- Transfer the drained lentils to a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the scallions and parsley and toss to combine. Pour 3 tablespoons of the dressing on the salad and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Divide the dressed lentils between bowls. Pile the roasted carrots and tomatoes on top. Serve with more dressing. Enjoy!