This easy hot toddy with charred orange is a take on a classic hot toddy recipe. The charred orange adds subtle sweet, smoky flavor that pairs perfectly with the rest of the drink.
I don’t pretend to be a mixologist by any means, but I do enjoy whipping up some cocktails every now and again. My go-to always tends to be things that are bright and ice cold. I love Aperol and gin or gin and Campari. I usually like to keep it simple.
While I don’t often find myself actively searching for warm drinks, but it was bitter cold and rainy the past few days so I figured why not. We have new whiskey snifter glasses so I thought a hot cocktail night would be a perfect time to use them.
For this hot toddy recipe, I use orange and honey in the cocktail but I top it off with a charred orange wedge. It takes a few additional minutes but the smoky, sweet flavors of the orange really add to the drink experience!
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed!
Hot Toddy with Charred Orange
- Small skillet
- Small saucepan
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 ounces bourbon or whiskey
- 1 slice of orange
- Cinnamon sticks, optional, for serving
Char the Orange:
- Turn the broiler on. Place the orange in the small skillet and transfer to the broiler. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until charred all over. Remove from the oven and cut in half.
Prepare the Hot Toddy:
- Bring the water to a very low boil in a small saucepan. Turn off the heat and stir in the orange juice and honey and whisk until incorporated.
- Stir in the bourbon.
- Divide the hot toddies between two glasses and garnish with the charred orange and cinnamon stick. Enjoy!
If you like my recipes, please follow me on Instagram or leave a comment below!