Who doesn’t love a 15-minute chicken and rice recipe? This 15-minute chicken and rice comes together quickly and tastes delicious.
Christmas is always filled to the brim with every sort of decadence you can imagine – rich lasagna, Italian Christmas cookies, and Aunt Lana’s Christmas cookies. Because it’s the holidays, we don’t hold back. However, when we come back from our time with families, we need a break from the decadence.
Enter the 15-minute chicken and rice recipe. Truthfully, I wasn’t even planning on cooking after driving for so long, but my husband had to return our rental car and I knew he wanted a break from red meat and cheese, so I whipped this up while he returned the car and he absolutely loved this.
My favorite part of this chicken and rice recipe is how few ingredients you need to make a winning recipe: I simply fried up my ground chicken, added mushrooms and tomatoes. I mounted a pat of butter into the pan and added water, though stock or wine would work here too. Finished it off with some peas and spices and piled it on top of warm rice. Done and done.
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed!
15-Minute Chicken and Rice
- Small pot
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- Extra virgin olive oil optional
- 1 tablespoon neutral cooking oil for frying, more if needed
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 pint Campari tomatoes halved
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 ¾ cups water or chicken stock
- 8 ounces fresh or frozen green peas
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dry chives optional
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper more or less, to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook the Rice:
- Combine the rice, water, extra virgin olive oil, and a sprinkle of salt in a small pot over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, stir once, and cover.
- Simmer the rice for 15 minutes and then turn off the heat.
Fry the Chicken:
- While the rice is cooking, heat the neutral oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground chicken and season with salt and pepper and cook for 7-8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Transfer to a bowl.
Cook the Vegetables:
- Add the mushrooms and tomatoes and cook for 3-5 minutes over medium-high until they just begin to soften and turn golden brown.
- Add the butter. Once melted, pour in the water or stock and bring to a boil. Add the peas and cooked chicken and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, chives, and crushed red pepper. Boil everything for 3-5 minutes more to allow the sauce to reduce slightly. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the cooked rice between shallow bowls and pour the ground chicken and vegetables on top. Garnish with a sprinkle more of dry chives, if desired. Enjoy!
Pin this 15-Minute Chicken and Rice Recipe for Later!