I’m finally back! I haven’t had an opportunity to post because I’ve been moving! We officially left our tiny NYC apartment and have settled into a much more spacious Baltimore apartment that actually has big, beautiful windows and loads of light. The first dinner I made in our new space is Maple-Sage Roasted Sausage and Potatoes.
This roasted sausage meal is easy to prepare and doesn’t require many ingredients. Simply prepare the roasted sausage and potatoes with a bit of chicken stock, sage, butter, and maple syrup for a final product that tastes like heaven!
We served our roasted sausage and potatoes with a bit of fresh watercress but that’s completely optional!
Maple-Sage Roasted Sausage and Potatoes
- Ovenproof skillet
- 6 Italian sausages
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more if necessary
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 yellow onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons butter
- .5 ounce container of fresh sage
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Fresh watercress arugula, or baby spinach, extra virgin olive oil, and flaky sea salt (optional, for serving)
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Scrub the potatoes and medium-dice. Peel the onion and thinly slice. Pick the sage leaves from the stems.
Fry the Potatoes:
- Heat the oil in a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high until very hot. Add the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes or until beginning to brown. Add the onion and cook for an additional 5-8 minutes or until just beginning to soften and brown. The potatoes should not be cooked completely. Scoop the potatoes out and transfer to a bowl.
Fry the Sausages:
- If the skillet seems dry, add a bit more oil and turn the heat back to medium high. Add the sausages and cook for 2 minutes per side or until well-browned all over. Remove and transfer to a plate.
Prepare the Sauce:
- Add the butter to the skillet and stir until melted and frothy. Next, add the sage leaves and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Finally, add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Boil for 3-5 minutes and then add the potatoes and onions. Arrange the sausages on top and transfer to the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until the sausages reach 160ºF internal temperature. Remove from heat.
Dress the Watercress (Optional):
- In a bowl, combine the watercress with a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of sea salt and toss to combine.
- Divide the potatoes between bowls and arrange the dressed greens (optional) on top. Serve with a sausage on top of each dish. Enjoy!