This parmesan zucchini with lemon-dill rice is creamy, bright, herby, and perfect for a quick weeknight dinner.
An easy lemon-dill rice is loaded up with chickpeas and served with parmesan golden (or green!) zucchini for an easy, tasty weeknight dinner.
The best part about this recipe? It is SO easy to make and so easy to modify depending on your preferences.
How to Make this Parmesan Zucchini with Lemon-Dill Rice:
First, cook the rice. Start with an aromatic, like shallot and saute until it is just softened. Add in some briny capers and crushed red pepper and sizzle them briefly.
Next, add butter. Once it is melted and frothy, add the rice and toast it briefly. Pour in water, bring to a boil, and simmer for about 25 minutes until the rice absorbs all the liquid.
To finish the rice, simply take the pot off the heat and add the remaining ingredients: chickpeas, dill, and lemon. Cover and let the residual heat finish cooking everything.
Finally, as the rice cooks prepare the zucchini. Drizzle thick zucchini rounds with oil and roast for 15 minutes. Add parmesan and broil for an additional 2 minutes.
That’s it! Easy, flavorful, and healthy!
Looking for more vegetarian recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed!
Parmesan Zucchini with Lemon-Dill Rice
- Large pot
- Baking sheet
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 shallot trimmed and diced
- 1 tablespoon capers drained
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups water plus more if needed
- 2 green or golden zucchini trimmed and cut into rounds
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese plus more for serving
- 15- ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill leaves
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- Salt and pepper to taste
Start the lemon-dill rice:
- Heat avocado oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and cook for 5 minutes until it just begins to soften.
- Add the capers and cook 1 minute. Add crushed red pepper and cook for 30 seconds.
Toast the rice:
- Melt the butter into the pot. Add the rice and cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt. Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
Cook the zucchini:
- Meanwhile, prepare the zucchini. Arrange the zucchini on a sheet pan and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Flip the zucchini ensuring both sides are coated with oil. Season the zucchini on both sides with salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown, flipping once midway through cooking.
Finish the zucchini:
- Remove the zucchini from the oven and sprinkle all but a pinch of the parmesan on the zucchini. Broil for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted and the tops are golden brown. Set aside.
Finish the rice:
- Remove the rice from the heat and stir in the chickpeas, dill, and lemon juice. Season all over with salt. Cover and let stand for 5-6 minutes.
- Divide the rice and chickpeas between plates and arrange the zucchini on top. Garnish with more parmesan and dill, if desired. Enjoy!