This vegan savory oatmeal with mushrooms is like an oat risotto! It’s so creamy and super easy to make. This savory oatmeal recipe pairs perfectly with mushrooms and kale.
Oatmeal may not be the first thing you think of when planning a savory mushroom dinner, but hopefully, this recipe will put it on your radar!
The best part about savory oatmeal? It’s SO easy to make. You literally need oats, water, salt, and pepper. I start with an onion to give it a bit more aromatic flavor. You can throw in some plant-based (or dairy) butter or cream at the end to give it an even richer flavor, but it’s not necessary. You’re seriously going to love this oat risotto.
How to make this savory oatmeal with mushrooms:
This recipe comes together in about 30 minutes flat, which makes it a great mid-week dinner option. It’s a vegan savory oatmeal recipe which means it’s perfect for Meatless Monday, too!
To make it, start with the mushrooms. You’ll want to brown them well, so they end up crispy and lightly caramelized around the edges. This can take up to 15 minutes to do, and be sure not to rush the mushrooms! It’ll taste better if they’re nicely browned.
Once the mushrooms are browned, pour in some water or stock and immediately add the kale and season all over with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the kale is bright green and tender.
While the mushrooms are cooking, make the oats. Simply sauté onion and then add the oats. Add lots of salt and pepper, and then add water. Bring the whole thing to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 10–15 minutes, stirring regularly. You can simmer a bit longer for even creamier, softer oats.
From there, add the cream or butter if you like, but that’s it! It’s so easy and so versatile. You could add just about anything to the savor oatmeal!
Looking for more vegan recipes? Be sure to follow my vegan recipe blog, Exploring Vegan!
Savory Oatmeal with Mushrooms
- Large skillet
- Large pot
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil divided
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 2 cups steel-cut oats
- 5 cups water or vegetable stock divided
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms torn or sliced depending on variety
- 1 bunch curly kale leaves torn into bite-sized pieces and stems discarded
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano or use 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
For serving, optional:
- Plant-based cream or butter
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Oregano leaves
Prepare the mushrooms and kale:
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10–15 minutes until well-browned. Add the oregano sprigs and cook for 1–2 minutes more. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Pour in 1 cup of water and immediately add the kale in an even layer on top of the mushrooms. Season the kale with salt and pepper. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes until kale is tender. Remove the cover and toss to combine. Discard the oregano stems. Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference. Turn off the heat and cover the mushrooms and kale to keep them warm.
Prepare the oats:
- While the mushrooms are cooking, make the oats. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon neutral oil in a large pot. Add the onion and cook for 6–8 minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add the oats and toss to combine. Season them with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer the oats for 10–15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the oats are thick and creamy. Taste and season with salt and pepper. If you like, add a pat of plant-based butter or a splash of plant-based cream in at the end for an even creamier oatmeal.
- Spoon the savory oats into shallow bowls and pile the mushrooms and kale on top. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle a few oregano leaves on top, if you like. Enjoy!