This sausage, farro, and white bean stew is a perfect midweek dinner idea. It’s a beautiful one-pot recipe that can come together in less than an hour.
I love a quick and easy meal, and this one really exceeded my expectations! A handful of ingredients bring tons of flavor to this easy one-pot recipe. If you’re looking for midweek dinner ideas, look no further!
For this sausage, farro, and white bean stew, you only need the following:
- Ground Italian sausage, spicy or mild
- Roasted red bell peppers, jarred or homemade
- Farro or pearled barley
- White beans, canned or from dry (If using dry beans, be sure they’re cooked about 90% of the way through)
- Basil leaves for garnish
- Basil oil; a delicious but optional garnish!
How to make this sausage, farro, and white bean stew:
For this recipe, I use jarred red bell peppers, but you can make them at home too! If using homemade, be sure to roast them before starting the recipe.
First, sauté the sausage and then add a diced onion. While the sausage and onion cook, blend the roasted red bell peppers in a food processor until completely smooth.
Pour the blended peppers over the sausage and then add the farro, white beans, and a few cups of water or stock. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste.
From there, simply bring it to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until the farro is tender. To finish it up, add some baby spinach. Once it’s wilted, you’re ready to serve!
Garnish each bowl with a few basil leaves and a drizzle of basil oil, if you like.
Sausage, Farro, and White Bean Stew
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 pound sausage casings removed
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 2 7- ounce jars roasted red bell peppers 14 oz total
- 1 cup farro or pearled barley
- 15- ounce can white beans
- 3-4 cups water or chicken stock
- 4 ounces baby spinach
- Fresh basil for serving
- Basil olive oil for finishing optional
- Salt pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste
Cook the sausage and onion:
- Heat the oil in a wide pot over medium-high. Add the sausage and cook for 8-10 minutes until golden brown and mostly cooked through.
- Add the diced onion and cook an additional 5-10 minutes until just softened.
Prepare the roasted red peppers:
- As the sausage cooks, add the jarred roasted red bell peppers (and any liquid from the jar) to a food processor. Pulse until completely smooth.
Simmer the stew:
- Pour the puréed red peppers over the sausage and onion.
- Add the farro, white beans, and 3 cups of water. Taste and season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Add the additional 1 cup of water only if needed.
Cook the spinach:
- Once the farro is tender, add the spinach and cook for 5 minutes until wilted. Turn off the heat.
- Ladle the stew into shallow bowls. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and a drizzle of Basil Olive Oil if you like. Enjoy!