We served these sweet and spicy Asian pork meatballs at our second Baltimore Supper Club event this weekend and they were a big hit! All the food we ate at the event was so delicious and we were so happy to enjoy these sweet, spicy Asian-spiced meatballs along with all the other delicious food served by members of the club.
These Asian pork meatballs are simply delicious! Topped with a sticky, sweet and spicy sauce, you really can’t go wrong with this recipe.
They’re easy to prepare and do well in a crockpot, depending on whether you’re going to a party. I mean, if you sit at home and eat this all in one sitting, I won’t blame you either!
The sauce for these meatballs is absolutely incredible. Best of all, you can replace the pork with chicken or turkey if you’re looking for a leaner option!
What’s your favorite party snack? I absolutely love taking meatballs of any kind to potlucks because of how easy they are to eat. These Sweet and Spicy Asian Pork Meatballs will be an absolute hit wherever you decide to take them!
Looking for more pork recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Sweet and Spicy Asian Pork Meatballs
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 2 inch piece of ginger peeled
- 8 cloves garlic peeled
- 4 Thai chili peppers trimmed
- 4 scallions trimmed
- 1 small shallot peeled
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs plus more if needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons neutral cooking oil for frying
Sweet and Spicy Sauce:
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup dry sake or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons sriracha more or less to taste
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon neutral cooking oil for sautéing
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Sesame seeds and sliced scallions optional
Prepare the Pork Meatballs:
- In a food processor, combine the ginger, garlic, chili peppers, scallions, and shallot and pulse until minced. Add half the minced aromatics to a large bowl (reserve the remaining half of aromatics for the sauce).
- To the bowl of aromatics, add the pork, egg, sesame oil, and soy sauce and use your hands to mix all the ingredients together. Note: At this point, you can fry up a dime-sized piece of the mixture to taste for flavor. Adjust the salt and pepper as necessary.
- Pour the panko over the mixture and gently work it in with your hands. Do not over-mix the meat.
- Roll the mixture into balls, about 1” in diameter and transfer to a plate.
Fry the Pork Meatballs:
- Heat the neutral cooking oil in a large skillet over medium-heat. Add the meatballs, cooking in batches if necessary, for 3-4 minutes per side until well-browned all over and cooked through. They are quite small, so they will cook up quickly! Transfer to a bowl (or crockpot, if taking to an event) and keep warm.
Prepare the Sweet and Spicy Sauce:
- In a saucepan, heat the 2 teaspoons neutral cooking oil over medium heat. Add the remaining half of the minced aromatics and cook, stirring often, for 1-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the sake and bring to a boil. Next, add the soy sauce, honey, sriracha, and sesame oil and whisk to combine. Bring to a steady boil for 10 minutes until reduced and thickened.
- Scoop out 2 tablespoons of the mixture and transfer to a bowl. Add the cornstarch and mix until a slurry is formed. Return the mixture back to the saucepan and cook over medium heat for an additional 5 minutes until very thick. Turn off the heat.
Finish the Sweet and Spicy Asian Pork Meatballs:
- Pour the sauce over the meatballs and toss to combine. At this point, you can either turn your crockpot to the warm setting to keep the meatballs warm or you can serve as-is! You may also wish to bake the meatball briefly, at 375ºF, for about 15-20 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken up even more!
- Right before serving, sprinkle the meatballs with sesame seeds and sliced scallions. Enjoy!