This sweet and spicy fettuccine is an easy pasta recipe that’s loaded with vegetables. The best part about this vegetarian pasta recipe is just how versatile it is!
This sweet and spicy fettuccine recipe is such a breeze to throw together. You just need your favorite vegetables, your favorite fettuccine brand, and butter and hot honey. Before you know, dinner will be on the table and ready to eat.
For this recipe, I used Peperoncino Fettuccine which is a very spicy, quick-cooking egg pasta. It cooks in just 3 minutes! You can use any fettuccine brand you like, but I loved this one.
How to make this sweet and spicy fettuccine:
In this easy vegetarian pasta recipe, all you have to do is boil pasta, prep and sauté vegetables, and combine butter and hot honey in a bowl. Once the vegetables are golden brown, toss them in the butter honey mixture. Throw in a splash of pasta water and the cooked pasta and that’s it!
What vegetables should I use for this fettuccine recipe?
For this recipe, I used brussels sprouts, mushrooms, and shallots. But get creative and try it with:
- Broccoli or cauliflower
- Sliced bell peppers
- Spinach or arugula
- Zucchini or asparagus
- Fresh cherry tomatoes
What can I use instead of hot honey?
No hot honey? No problem! Try it with maple syrup mixed with cayenne powder instead!
Looking for more vegetarian recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed.
Sweet and Spicy Fettuccine
- Large pot
Cook the pasta:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water before draining the pasta. Set it aside.
Cook the vegetables:
- Heat the oil in a wide pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the shallot and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms release their liquid and the liquid evaporates, about 8–10 minutes. Once the mushrooms are golden brown, season with salt and pepper.
Cook the Brussels sprouts:
- Add the Brussels sprouts to the pot of mushrooms and turn the heat to high. Cook, tossing them occasionally until they char around the edges, about 5–7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Prepare the hot honey butter:
- Place the butter in a bowl and transfer to the microwave. Microwave in 20-second increments until melted.
- Add the hot honey to the butter and whisk until combined.
Finish the sauce:
- Pour the hot honey butter over the vegetables and bring to a boil. Toss to combine and reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the sprouts! Taste and season to your preferences.
Finish the pasta:
- Pour in the pasta cooking water along with the cooked pasta and toss until well-coated. Turn the heat off.
- Divide the pasta between plates and garnish with fresh herbs like parsley or basil, if you like. Enjoy!