I love turkey chili and this recipe for turkey chili with wild rice will leave you feeling full and satisfied! It’s easy to make and is ultra hearty.
Turkey chili is one of my all-time favorite go-to recipes. It’s always SO easy to prepare and leftovers only taste better!
The only problem I have with turkey chili is that it seems to be gone in a flash! I decided to add some longevity to my traditional chili recipe with the addition of hearty wild rice. It’ll take a little longer to cook, but one bowl, and you’ll be filled thanks to nutrient-dense wild rice!
How to Make this Turkey Chili with Wild Rice:
You’re going to start with a pretty straightforward chili recipe. Brown the meat, sweat your aromatics, and then add spices. You’ll add chicken stock and a can of fire-roasted tomatoes. Bring it to a bowl and then you’ll add 1 cup of wild rice. I’ve seen some recipes where they suggest letting the chili cook for 30 minutes before adding the rice, but I vote to kill two birds (turkeys??) with one stone and throw the rice in since it’s going to be simmering anyway.
Wild rice takes considerably longer than white rice to cook, but you can use either. Or use brown rice! It’ll take about 45-50 minutes for the rice to be tender, but it’ll be SO worth it, I promise.
Looking for more chili recipes? Check out one of my favorites!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Turkey Chili with Wild Rice
- Large pot
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 2 bell peppers trimmed, deseeded, and diced
- 1 jalapeño trimmed and diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder more or less to taste
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 15 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomato
- 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup wild rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Lime wedges
Brown the Turkey:
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the turkey and season all over with salt and pepper. Cook for 8-10 minutes until mostly cooked through.
Cook the Aromatics:
- Add the onion and peppers to the pot and cook, stirring regularly until softened. Season with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and cayenne powder.
Add the Liquid:
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
Simmer the Chili:
- Add the tomatoes, black beans, and wild rice. Taste and season again with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover partially, and cook for 45 minutes until the rice is tender. Add more liquid as necessary if the rice absorbs too much. Taste and season again to your preferences.
- Once the rice is tender, turn off the heat. Ladle the chili into bowls and garnish with cilantro, cheddar, and a lime wedge if desired. Enjoy!