I would have never thought of adding orange peel and fresh orange juice to beef soup, but the bright citrus proved to be a formidable ingredient in this 30-minute orange-thyme beef soup. The orange adds just enough brightness to this soup to make you ponder the flavor but it’s subtle enough to not overpower.
This orange-thyme beef soup recipe is one of my absolute favorite simple soup recipes. Not only is this an amazing 30-minute beef soup recipe, but it doesn’t lack flavor at all. Crushed red pepper, orange, and dry herbs add rich flavor to a broth that can be whipped up really, really quickly.
How to Make this 30-Minute Orange-Thyme Beef Soup Recipe:
To make this orange-thyme beef soup, you’ll start by browning the beef. Make sure you continue cooking until a golden-brown crust begins to. form on the beef.
Once the beef has browned, you’ll transfer it to a plate.
After that, you’ll simply add the aromatics and diced bell pepper and cook them until they soften. After that, it’s just a matter of bringing it all together. Add chicken stock, orange juice, and orange peel and then the the cooked beef and cannellini beans. Season liberally with the dry herbs and the fresh parsley and kale and allow the soup to simmer for about 15 minutes.
That’s it! In about 30 minutes, you’ll have a delicious, fragrant bowl of soup to enjoy!
Looking for more soup recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
30-Minute Orange-Thyme Beef Soup
- Soup pot
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 red bell peppers
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 navel orange
- 1 15- ounce can cannellini beans
- 1 bunch Lacinato kale
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry chives
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil optional, for garnish
- Peel and dice the onion. Trim and deseed the bell peppers and then dice. Using a vegetable peeler, peel off 4 strips of orange peel and set aside. Juice the orange into a bowl. Drain and rinse the beans. Roughly chop the kale. Roughly chop the fresh parsley and tender stems.
Brown the Beef:
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a soup pot over medium high until very hot. Add the ground beef and cook for 5 minutes until well browned all over, breaking the beef up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and drain off all but 1 tablespoon oil from the pot.
Prepare the Vegetables:
- Add the diced onion and diced peppers in the pot over medium high. Cook, stirring regularly, until softened and beginning to brown all over, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Prepare the Soup:
- Pour in 5 cups chicken stock and add the orange peel and orange juice. Scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom. Bring to a boil. And reduce heat and simmer.
- Next, add cooked beef and the rinsed cannellini beans. Season with dry thyme, dry chives, and a sprinkle of crushed red pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Add chopped kale and roughly chopped fresh parsley and cook until wilted but bright green, about 3-5 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Discard orange peels. Ladle the beef soup into bowls and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and add a sprinkle of crushed red pepper if desired. Enjoy!