A refreshing sweet and savory summer side dish, this easy cantaloupe and basil salad deserves a spot at your next summer get-together.
This recipe takes all of ten minutes to whip up and the sweet, savory, herbal flavors work together perfectly.
Best of all, you can riff of this recipe endlessly. Keep reading for a few ideas on how to modify this delicious salad recipe!
How to make this easy cantaloupe and basil salad:
Really, this summer side dish is all about quickly preparing your ingredients and throwing them in a bowl together.
First, prepare your ingredients. We used pre-cut cantaloupe from the grocery store, but try this with a melon baller. Next, combine the tomatoes and cantaloupe together in a bowl and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and salt. Finally, add the Thai basil leaves and use your hands to coat everything evenly with the oil and seasoning.
In our salad, I used:
- Cubed cantaloupe
- Thai basil leaves
- Halved cherry tomatoes
- Aleppo pepper flakes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Flaky sea salt
Try this recipe with any combination of the following:
- Italian basil or chopped parsley
- Feta, goat, or mozzarella cheese (torn or crumbled)
- Thinly sliced red Fresno chili pepper
- Watermelon or honeydew instead of cantaloupe
- Cucumber or diced zucchini
- Toasted pecans or walnuts
Looking for more vegetarian recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed.
Cantaloupe and Basil Salad
- Large bowl
Prepare the salad:
- Combine the cantaloupe and cherry tomatoes in a large bowl.
- Drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt and Aleppo pepper flakes. Toss to combine.
Finish the salad:
- Add the Thai basil leaves and use your hands to evenly distribute them through the salad. Transfer to the refrigerator until ready to serve. Right before serving, taste the salad and add a sprinkle more salt or red pepper flakes, if desired. Enjoy!