These turmeric chickpeas with Greek yogurt are perfect for a quick weeknight meal. You only need a few ingredients for a flavor-packed meal!
Who doesn’t love a plate of fragrant, creamy chickpeas? This recipe for chickpeas with yogurt combines everything I love in a weeknight dinner: quick, versatile, and super flavorful.
Butter and Greek yogurt add richness to this easy recipe but it’s not a calorie-bomb meal either, which is great!
Turmeric can add a bit of a bite to dishes, but the creamy Greek yogurt softens it with lemon juice adding just a nice hint of brightness at the end. It’s such an amazing dinner that we absolutely devoured.
How to make these turmeric chickpeas with yogurt:
Luckily, you only need one pot for this meal! First, cook the aromatics. Start with diced shallot and then add a diced jalapeño. Next, melt the butter into the aromatics and add the turmeric. Allow the turmeric to size in the butter for about one minute until it becomes fragrant. It will deepen in color, too!
From there, simply add chickpeas and cherry tomatoes (or add a can of tomatoes, though, the color of the broth will change quite a bit). Add in water, bring it to a boil, and simmer the chickpeas for about 30 minutes or until the water has mostly cooked off and you’re left with a thick, golden gravy.
Add in the fresh herbs and cook them for a few minutes.
While the chickpeas simmer, whisk Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and salt in a bowl until smooth and creamy.
Spoon that delicious yogurt into bowls and pile the chickpeas on top! And just like that, dinner will be on the table in just about 40 minutes.
Looking for more vegetarian recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed.
Turmeric Chickpeas with Yogurt
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 shallot peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeño trimmed and minced; seeds removed if preferred
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 15- ounce cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup loosely packed parsley leaves and tender stems minced
- 5 scallions trimmed and minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil optional, for garnish
Cook the aromatics:
- Heat avocado oil in a wide pot over medium heat.
- Add the shallot and cook for 6 minutes until it softens. Add the jalapeño and cook for 1–2 minutes.
Bloom the turmeric:
- Melt the butter into the shallots. Once melted and frothy, add the turmeric and allow it to sizzle in the butter, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute until fragrant.
Simmer the chickpeas:
- Add the chickpeas and the tomatoes and stir to coat in the turmeric. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the chickpea sauce is thickened and reduced.
Prepare the Greek yogurt:
- In a bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and a sprinkle of salt. Whisk until completely smooth. Set aside.
Finish the chickpeas:
- Taste the chickpeas and season again to your preferences. Stir in the parsley and scallions and cook for 5 minutes more. Turn off the heat.
- Spoon the Greek yogurt into shallow bowls and use the back of your spoon to smooth it into an even layer on the bottom of the bowl. Pile the warm chickpeas on top. Drizzle with a touch of extra virgin olive oil, if desired. Enjoy!