This vegan sloppy joe recipe is an easy dinner perfect for a warm summer night. Lentils and mushrooms work perfectly in this vegetarian sloppy joe recipe!
Sloppy joes are a classic school lunch and growing up, they were one of my favorite meals. I just love the sweet, savory, saucy filling.
This vegetarian sloppy joe is made with lots of minced mushrooms and red lentils which give it a great, meaty texture without the meat.
How to make this vegan sloppy joe recipe:
The first thing you’ll need for this recipe is lots of mushrooms. I use a variety of king trumpet and oyster, but try this recipe out with any mushroom variety, like:
- Baby bella
First, gather and prepare all your ingredients. That’s the most time-consuming part of this recipe. This recipe uses diced onion, diced bell peppers, and a diced jalapeño for a little heat.
Next, sauté the vegetables in batches. Start with the onion, then add the peppers, and then add the mushrooms. Allow the mushrooms to cook for 10 minutes before adding red lentils and the remaining ingredients.
The key to the sloppy joe is its sweet and savory flavors. There’s also a little umami in there, so be sure to use Worcestershire sauce. If you’re completely vegan and meat-free, use a vegan Worcestershire sauce or a vegan fish sauce. The sauce base is a combination of tomato paste, vegan Worcestershire, ketchup, Dijon mustard, and brown sugar. Lastly, throw in a can of tomatoes and a splash of water and let it simmer for 30 minutes. Spoon that yumminess on toasted rolls and enjoy with potato chips!
Looking for more vegetarian recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed.
Vegan Sloppy Joe Recipe
- Wide pot
- Food processor
- ¾ pound mixed mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 2 bell peppers trimmed, seeded, and diced
- 1 jalapeño trimmed and minced, optional
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard or yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar plus more, to taste
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup water plus more, as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 potato rolls
- Pickle slices
Prepare the mushrooms:
- Transfer mushrooms to a food processor and pulse until minced. Set aside.
Cook the aromatics:
- Heat the avocado oil in a wide pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 6-7 minutes until softens.
- Add the diced bell peppers and diced jalapeño pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes more until they begin to soften.
Cook the mushrooms:
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes, adding more oil if necessary, until the mushrooms are softened and beginning to brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the red lentils and stir to combine.
Finish the sloppy joe mixture:
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, coating as many of the vegetables and lentils with the paste as possible.
- Add the Worcestershire and toss to combine.
- Stir in the ketchup, Dijon mustard, and brown sugar. Add the tomatoes and toss to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Taste and season once more to your preferences.
- Serve the mixture on toasted rolls. Enjoy!