This recipe for chickpeas in lemon-tahini broth is an easy, healthy, creamy vegetarian dinner recipe that you’re going to love!
This is one of those easy recipes that just comes together in a breeze and makes you love, love, love cooking! The flavors are incredible together and the lemon-tahini mixture adds a creaminess to the broth that just can’t be beat. My husband absolutely loved these lemon-tahini chickpeas!
How to Make This Recipe:
Making these chickpeas in lemon-tahini broth is so easy! Simply start by browning aromatics, which include leeks, garlic, and red Fresno chili pepper.
Next, add stock to the pot and bring to a boil. Add the chickpeas and a few spices and simmer until they’re very tender. The spices I use in this dish are thyme, paprika, and a little white pepper. You can use black pepper but white pepper has a really unique, pungent flavor. When used in very small amounts, it adds a very complex undertone to the broth!
Next, add the greens and cook them until they’re tender and bright green. From there, it’s just a matter of stirring in the lemon-tahini mixture until it is completely mixed into the broth. Finally, ladle it into bowls and garnish! I garnished with chopped avocado, minced scallion, and a little Aleppo red pepper flakes. I finished it with a touch of mustard oil. These lemon-tahini chickpeas were simply divine!
Looking for more vegetarian recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Chickpeas in Lemon-Tahini Broth
- Wide pot
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 leek trimmed, rinsed, and sliced thinly into rounds
- 8 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 red Fresno chili pepper trimmed and minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 15- ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper optional
- 1 head of bok choy finely chopped (or use kale, spinach, or arugula)
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 lemon juiced
- A few shakes of your favorite hot sauce optional
- Salt to taste
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 scallion minced
- Aleppo pepper optional
- Mustard oil or extra virgin olive oil optional
- In a bowl, combine the tahini, lemon juice, and a few splashes of hot sauce and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wide pot over medium-high. Melt the butter into the oil. Once frothy, add the leeks and cook for 7-8 minutes until softened and beginning to turn golden brown.
- Add the garlic and red Fresno chili pepper and cook for 45 seconds until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook the Chickpeas:
- Add the stock to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add chickpeas, thyme, paprika, white pepper, and salt, to taste. Simmer for 15 minutes until the chickpeas are very tender.
Cook the Greens:
- Add the greens and a little water and cook until the greens are bright green and tender, about 10 minutes.
Finish the Broth:
- Add the tahini mixture to the broth and stir until completely incorporated. Taste and season again to your preferences.
- Ladle the chickpeas into bowls. Garnish with chopped avocado and minced scallion. Sprinkle with Aleppo pepper and a drizzle of mustard oil, if desired. Enjoy!