This recipe for sweet, smoky scrambled egg tortilla combines spicy, smoky, sweet flavors for an incredible and easy brunch!
If you’re like me, you regularly become bored of your regular breakfast routine. This recipe combines new flavors for an exciting and easy brunch recipe.
This recipe uses flavors from maple syrup, chili powder, smoked paprika, and cayenne powder along with scallions to create a complex and delicious flavor profile.
How to Make Sweet, Smoky Scrambled Egg Tortilla:
This recipe is very easy to prepare but you want to make sure you have your ingredients prepped before you begin.
First, you’ll sauté diced bell peppers, onion, and a Serrano pepper until crisp but softened and charred around the edges. Take it out of the skillet and melt some butter. Add the small-diced sweet potato and cook over medium-high until charred and softened.
Meanwhile, combine the maple syrup, cayenne powder, smoked paprika, and chili powder in a bowl. Once the sweet potatoes are charred, toss them in the bowl of maple syrup and add minced scallions and a little bit of salt. Wipe out the skillet.
From there, it’s just a matter of whisking the eggs with cream and then adding them to a skillet of melted butter over low heat. Allow them to set up for a few minutes before gently breaking them up and adding the reserved peppers. Continue cooking over low heat, mixing occasionally, until mostly cooked through. Do not over-scramble! Turn off the heat and let the residual heat cook the eggs the rest of the way.
After that, char the tortillas on an open flame and pile the sweet potatoes and eggs on top and garnish with scallions. It’s as easy as that!
Looking for more vegetarian recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Sweet, Smoky Scrambled Egg Tortilla
- 3 teaspoons neutral cooking oil for frying, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 small yellow onion peeled and minced
- 1 red bell pepper trimmed, seeded, and small-diced
- 1 green bell pepper trimmed, seeded, and small-diced
- 1 Serrano pepper optional, trimmed and small-diced
- 1 small sweet potato trimmed and small-diced
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder optional
- 2 scallions trimmed and minced, white and green parts kept separate
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
Sauté the Aromatics:
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the yellow onion and diced peppers and cook for 5-7 minutes until softened and beginning to char. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl.
Cook the Sweet Potatoes:
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet over medium-high heat. Once frothy, add the sweet potato and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 7-8 minutes until charred and softened.
Prepare the Maple Syrup:
- In a bowl, combine the maple syrup, chili powder, smoked paprika, and cayenne powder and stir to combine.
Finish the Sweet Potatoes:
- Transfer the charred sweet potatoes to the bowl of maple syrup and add the white and light green parts of the scallion and a sprinkle of salt. Toss to coat. Keep warm.
Scramble the Eggs:
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and cream and add a sprinkle of salt. Wipe out the skillet and turn the heat to low.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet over medium-low heat. Once melted, add the eggs and allow them to set up for 2-4 minutes. Once the bottom is set up and the top is still liquid, add the reserved peppers and onion and mix gently into the eggs.
- Continue mixing occasionally until the eggs are almost completely set up and cooked through. Turn off the heat and allow the residual heat to finish cooking the eggs. Taste and season again to your preference.
Char the Tortillas:
- Turn the flame on your burner to high. Char each tortilla for 45 seconds to 1 minute per side or until charred and warmed through. See Note.
- Place a tortilla on each plate. Add a spoonful of maple sweet potatoes to each tortilla and divide the eggs on top. Add a few more sweet potatoes on top of each tortilla. Garnish each tortilla with scallion greens. Enjoy!