This creamy harissa broth with rice is a perfect vegetarian dinner option. It is filling and spicy, but tender green beans add a nice freshness to this meal.
This meal is so delicious and easy to adapt. To start, I made a simple and fiery harissa broth by sautéing shallots and potatoes in a little oil and butter. I add garlic and stock. Although I generally prefer harissa paste, I opted for harissa powder this time. I amp it up with cayenne powder and paprika for extra kick, but you can omit that.
Once I have seasoned the broth, I bring it to a boil and let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. I add a bit of cream and green beans and let them simmer in the broth for about 5 minutes or until tender-crisp.
This recipe is very easy to modify. If you don’t have green beans, any green vegetable will do such as:
- Broccoli florets
- Sugar snap peas
- Green peas
You can also replace the potatoes with sweet potatoes or turnips or omit for a lighter option. Diced tomatoes would also be delicious in this creamy harissa broth with rice!
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed
Creamy Harissa Broth with Rice
- Small pot with lid
- Wide pot
- 2 cups rice
- 3 tablespoon butter divided
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons neutral cooking oil
- 1 shallot peeled and sliced
- 1½ pounds baby Yukon gold potatoes halved
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons harissa powder more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder optional
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 10 ounces French-cut green beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prepare the Rice:
- Combine the rice, water, 1 tablespoon butter, and salt in a small pot and bring to a boil. Stir once, reduce heat, and cover for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the rice to rest for 10 minutes.
Prepare the Harissa Broth:
- Heat the neutral cooking oil in a wide pot over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for 3-4 minutes until just beginning to soften.
- Add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Melt the butter into the pot and add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. Season with harissa, cayenne, paprika, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
Finish the Harissa Broth:
- Add the heavy cream and green beans to the broth and cook for 5 minutes or until the green beans are tender-crisp. Taste and season again to your preferences.
- Divide the rice between bowls and ladle the harissa broth and vegetables on top. Enjoy!
If you love harissa, check out my other favorite harissa recipes in the archives!