This creamy kale and mushroom soup is a perfect vegetarian dinner recipe that you can whip up any night of the week. It’s so easy to throw together and tastes amazing!
This recipe for creamy kale and mushroom soup is not too difficult to prepare at all! I simply sauté a diced onion and a lot of mixed mushrooms, about a pound and a half, until very well-browned. I add flour and then whisk in warm milk. Finally, I add stock and spices and then diced, peeled potatoes. After the potatoes are fork-tender, I throw in a big pile of washed, chopped kale. You can curly kale or Lacinato kale, depending on your preference.
If you don’t have kale, you can use spinach, sliced Swiss chard, or arugula!
This creamy kale mushroom soup is so delicious and easy to prepare. I am definitely adding it to the rotation of meals that I make again and again!
You can add other vegetables or proteins to this kale soup too, such as:
- Green peas
- Roasted red peppers
- Hot Italian sausage
- Shredded chicken
- Diced carrots or celery
It’s such a versatile and easy recipe that you and your family will simply love. If you’re worried about the recipe being too rich, simply replace the milk with stock. It will still be utterly delicious!
Please let me know you liked this recipe by rating the recipe below or dropping a note in the comments. If you decide to make this delicious soup, please tag me on Instagram, so I can feature it on my feed!
Creamy Kale and Mushroom Soup
- Soup pot
- 2 teaspoons neutral cooking oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 1½ pounds mixed mushrooms such as cremini, shiitake, oyster, or maitake sliced
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups whole milk or stock
- 5 cups vegetable stock low-sodium
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper more or less to taste
- ½ teaspoon crushed rosemary
- 3 Russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 8 ounces curly kale chopped
Brown the Vegetables:
- Heat the neutral oil in a large soup pot over medium heat until very hot. Add the diced onion and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until very well-browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic and butter and cook for 45 seconds until the garlic is fragrant and the butter is melted and frothy.
Make the Roux:
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and toss to coat. Cook, stirring regularly, for 1-3 minutes.
- If using milk, warm it in the microwave in 45-second increments until completely warm.
- Add the milk to the flour, in 1/2 cup increments, whisking after each addition until all the milk has been added. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Finish the Soup:
- Pour the stock into the soup and season with thyme, crushed red pepper, and rosemary. Bring to a very low boil and add the potatoes. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are almost fork-tender. Taste and season again to your preferences.
Cook the Kale:
- Add the kale to the soup and stir to incorporate. Cook for 10 minutes until tender. Turn off the heat.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, if desired. Enjoy!
This recipe is FANTASTIC!
I had been dreaming of a creamy mushroom soup, and we had some kale on hand that I wanted to incorporate.
I realized while making the recipe that I was out of rosemary, so I subbed in some herb de Provence and it turned out great!
We served ours with freshly grated parmesan and olive oil with extra red pepper. Some crusty bread would have been a great addition! I will be sure to pick some up before I make this recipe again, because I will DEFINITELY be making this again!!!
Yay! I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed it! Serving with freshly grated parm is such a great idea!
Had some leftover kale and mushroom on hand. No veggie stock so I used chicken stock instead and it was delicious!