This creamy sun-dried tomato pasta is rich, decadent, and perfect for a quick vegetarian pasta dinner recipe. You’ll love this sun-dried tomato recipe!
If you’ve been on Tried & True for any amount of time, you might have noticed that sun-dried tomato recipes are lacking. And I wish I had a better reason than this, but it’s really because I find them too tangy or sour. I’m not sure what it is that I don’t love about sun-dried tomatoes, but I never had enough great experiences with them to make me want them on the regular rotation.
I picked up a jar of Kazzen sun-dried tomatoes, though, and my whole perception of this ingredient totally changed! The quality was so good! Preserved with garlic, this stuff was so robust, lightly sweet, and not acidic at all which has been my previous experience.
The best part? This creamy sun-dried tomato pasta recipe was a BREEZE to throw together.
To make this vegetarian dinner recipe, you need just a few ingredients, including:
- Sliced onion
- Chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- Dry oregano
- Crushed red pepper
- Mascarpone or heavy cream
- And if you want to be super fancy, try it with a little truffle cream!
To make the recipe, simply sauté the onion and then add the chopped sun-dried tomatoes and cook briefly. From there, melt butter and add the spices. Next, add the water or stock and bring to a boil and let hard-simmer until thickened and reduced.
Finish the sauce by stirring in mascarpone or heavy cream pasta cooking water and then tossing with cooked pasta. If you want to try the truffle cream, be sure to temper it by adding it to the reserved pasta cooking water before adding it all to the sauce!
Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta
- Large pot
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil roughly chopped, plus 1 teaspoon of the oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon dry Italian oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
- 2 cups water or vegetable stock
- ⅓ cup mascarpone or heavy cream
- 8 ounces tagliatelle
- 1 teaspoon truffle cream optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook the onion:
- Heat the oil in a wide pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring regularly, for 8-10 minutes until softened. Season with salt and pepper.
Sauté the sun-dried tomatoes:
- Add the chopped sun-dried tomatoes and 1 teaspoon tomato oil from the jar. Cook 3-4 minutes more.
Bloom the spices:
- Melt the butter into the onions and tomatoes. Once frothy, add the oregano and crushed red pepper. Cook 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
Simmer the sauce:
- Pour in the water or stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and hard simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes. If the sauce reduces too quickly, reduce heat to low and add a splash or two more of water. Taste and season to your preferences.
Cook the pasta:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Scoop out 1/3 cup of the pasta cooking water and set it aside. Drain the pasta.
- If using the truffle cream, add it to the reserved hot pasta cooking water and stir to temper it.
Finish the sauce:
- Add the mascarpone or heavy cream to the pot of sun-dried tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and add the reserved pasta cooking water with truffle cream. Let the sauce bubble for 5 minutes until thickened. Taste and season.
- Add the pasta and cook for 1-2 minutes more until completely coated with the sauce. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the pasta between shallow bowls. Garnish with parsley. Enjoy!