This simple one-pot lemon chicken with beans and spinach is the perfect weeknight dinner recipe. It’s easy to prepare, requires only one pot, and tastes absolutely delicious.
Simple One-Pot Lemon Chicken with Beans and Spinach
- Wide pot or skillet
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 14.5- ounce can cannellini beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley
- 1 red Fresno chili pepper or use crushed red pepper to taste
- 1 lemon divided
- 3 ounces fresh baby spinach
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Pat the chicken dry and season all over with salt and pepper. First, cut the onion into thin wedges. Next, drain and rinse the beans. Then, roughly chop the parsley leaves and mince the chili pepper. Finally, slice off 4 rounds from the lemon and juice the remaining lemon half into a bowl. After the lemon has been juiced into a bowl, add the parsley and minced red pepper to the bowl of lemon juice.
Fry the Chicken:
- Heat the vegetable oil over medium high in an oven-proof skillet. Once very hot, add the chicken thighs, skin-side down, and cook for 5-7 minutes without moving until the skin is golden brown and crispy. After the skin is crispy, flip and cook 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
Prepare the Beans:
- To the skillet, add the butter over medium heat. Once melted and frothy, add the onion and season with salt. Cook, stirring often, until golden brown and softened, about 8-10 minutes. Next, turn the heat to high for 1-2 minutes or until the onions begin to turn dark brown around the edges. Finally, add the chicken stock and scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and add the beans.
Cook the Chicken:
- Return the chicken to the skillet of beans and place a lemon round on each thigh. Transfer to the oven and cook for 20 minutes or until an instant-read meat thermometer registers 165º. Carefully return the skillet to the stove and transfer the chicken to a plate.
Finish the Beans:
- Turn the heat on the skillet back to medium. Once bubbly and hot, add the spinach and the bowl of lemon juice, parsley, and minced red pepper. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2-4 minutes or until the spinach has just wilted. Remove from heat.
- Divide the beans and spinach between bowls and serve with a chicken thigh. Enjoy!