This easy pasta with vermouth cream sauce is loaded with mushrooms and sliced Fresno peppers for a rich, sweet, spicy sauce.
This easy pasta with vermouth cream sauce is a new favorite in our house and it’s so easy to whip up and only requires a handful of ingredients.
I definitely recommend sweet vermouth for this, but if you don’t have vermouth, white wine or sherry will work just fine! We loved the flavor of sweet vermouth, but you can also use dry vermouth. I felt like the sweetness worked really well in this cream sauce because of the heat from the red Fresno chili peppers.
To make this recipe, you will simply fry up onions and mushrooms until they’re very browned and beginning to caramelize. Next, you’ll add garlic and red Fresno peppers and cook them until they’re fragrant. Finally, you’ll add 1/4 cup sweet vermouth and 1/2 cup vegetable stock. Bring it to a boil and then stir in heavy cream and let it simmer for a few more minutes before you toss with cooked linguine.
This pasta with vermouth cream sauce is a perfect easy dinner that you can whip up in about 30 minutes. What’s not to love?
Looking for more vegetarian recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below. Leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Pasta with Vermouth Cream Sauce
- Large pot
- Wide pot
- 12 ounces fresh linguine note, if you use dry pasta, the cook time will be increased
- 2 teaspoons neutral cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 Vidalia onion peeled and diced
- 12 ounces mushrooms trimmed, scrubbed, and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1-2 red Fresno peppers trimmed and sliced (or use crushed red pepper)
- ¼ cup sweet Vermouth
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
Boil the Pasta:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 3-4 minutes if using fresh pasta. Scoop out 1/4 cup of the past cooking water and reserve. Drain the pasta and set aside.
Prepare the Sauce:
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Heat the neutral oil and butter in a wide pot over medium heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring regularly, for 8-12 minutes until completely browned and beginning to caramelize around the edges.
- Add the garlic and red Fresno peppers and cook for 45 seconds until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper.
Finish the Sauce:
- Pour the sweet vermouth into the pot and bring to a boil. Add the vegetable stock and boil for 4-5 minutes. Add the heavy cream to the reserved pasta cooking water to temper it and pour the mixture into the sauce. Taste and season with salt and pepper and cook an additional 4-5 minutes or until thickened.
Sauce the Pasta:
- Add the pasta to the pot and toss to coat until glossy. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the pasta between shallow bowls and enjoy!
I don’t have chili’s but I do have red pepper flakes how much should I use
I would star with 1/4 tsp. You could alway add more at the table.