I had no idea what I wanted to make for dinner tonight. Part of the reason is because I had to get rid of so much half-used condiments in my fridge and pantry so I don’t have a lot to choose from. But tonight, I landed on a very simple gochujang beef and rice with sautéed vegetables.
This is actually a (very similar) riff off my gochujang pork and rice bowls but that recipe was so nice, I decided to make it twice (except with beef this time)! For this spicy gochujang beef and rice recipe, you marinate thinly sliced beef in a really delicious gochujang marinade. Then, fry it up quickly before sautéing the rest of your veggies. It really is that simple!
Spicy Gochujang Beef and Rice with Sautéed Vegetables
- 1 pound boneless ribeye or sirloin or skirt steak
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion divided
- 3 medium carrots
- 3 scallions divided
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons gochugaru optional
- 5 ounces baby spinach
Spicy Gochujang Marinade
- 3 tablespoons gochujang
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons chili oil optional, more or less depending on taste preference
- 3 scallions
Prepare the Steak and Marinade:
- Thinly slice the steak (it helps if you freeze it for about 30-40 minutes prior to starting dinner). Trim the 3 scallions and slice on a diagonal. Cut the onion in half and set one half aside. Thinly slice the remaining half. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the marinade and stir to combine.
- Season the sliced steak with salt and pepper and transfer to the bowl of marinade along with the sliced scallions and sliced onion and toss to combine. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour (or overnight).
Prepare the Remaining Ingredients:
- Cook the rice according to package instructions. Keep warm. Thinly slice the remaining onion half. Peel and trim the carrots and cut into thick slices on an angle. Trim and thinly slice the scallions, keeping the white and light green parts separate from the dark green parts. In a small bowl, combine the dark green parts of the scallions with 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, and 2 teaspoons gochugaru and toss to combine.
Fry the Steak:
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil over high until very hot and almost smoking. Add the beef along with the marinade to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes until the steak is just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Spoon the steak out of the skillet and into a bowl. (It’s okay if there is marinade left in the skillet.)
Cook the Vegetables:
- Return the skillet to medium high and add the carrots, onion, and white and light green parts of the scallions. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the carrots and onions are softened. Add a splash of water and the baby spinach and cook until the spinach has just wilted, about 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the rice between plates and pile the beef and sautéed vegetables on top. Sprinkle the sliced scallions in gochugaru on top of each plate and garnish with more sesame seeds and gochugaru if desired. Enjoy!