This recipe for sweet and spicy red lentils with wild rice and greens comes together quickly and is so fragrant and spicy while the golden raisins had a pleasant sweetness to the dish.
This dish is so delicious and just so easy to prepare. You only need two pots and most of the time in this recipe is spent waiting for the lentils and rice to become tender.
Very quickly throw the greens in with the wild rice as soon as the rice has finished cooking. You don’t want to lose too much steam because that is the heat that will wilt your greens!
Sweet and Spicy Red Lentils with Wild Rice and Greens
- Large pot
- Medium saucepan
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds optional (Or use 2 tablespoons dry mustard)
- 1 small red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Cayenne powder or crushed red pepper to taste
- 4 small sweet peppers
- 1 small hot pepper Serrano or Thai chili, optional
- 2 14.5- ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 16 ounces red lentils
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 4.5- ounce coconut cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups uncooked white brown, wild, or blend of rice
- 3 ounces fresh baby kale arugula, or spinach
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh cilantro leaves optional
- Peel and small-dice the red onion. Peel and mince the ginger and garlic. Trim and small-dice all the peppers, discarding seeds if desired. Rinse the lentils.
Cook the Vegetables:
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. If using, add the mustard seeds and cook for 1-2 minutes or until they begin to pop. First, add the red onion and ginger and cook until beginning to brown and soften, about 5 minutes. Next, add the cumin, turmeric, cayenne powder, and garlic and cook for 45 seconds until fragrant. Finally, add the sweet peppers and reduce heat to medium and cook for about 5 minutes until softened.
Prepare the Red Lentils:
- Pour the tomatoes and water into the pot and add the lentils and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and add the golden raisins. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, cover, and cook for 30 minutes or until the lentils are very tender, adding more water if necessary. Stir the lentils occasionally to ensure they do not stick to the pot.
Prepare the Rice and Greens:
- While the lentils are simmering, prepare the rice according to package instructions in a medium saucepan. Turn off the heat, remove the lid and place the greens on top, and drizzle with 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Return the lid to the pot for 2-3 minutes or until the greens begin to wilt from the steam. Toss the greens in the warm rice until fully wilted and warm. Remove from heat.
Finish the Red Lentils:
- Stir the coconut cream or Greek yogurt into the red lentils until combined and remove from heat.
- Divide the rice and greens between bowls and spoon the sweet and spicy red lentils on top. Serve with fresh cilantro leaves if desired. Enjoy!