This Cajun-spiced cod is our new favorite dinner recipe – buttery, flaky, spicy Cajun-spiced cod is served with creamy, cheesy mashed cauliflower and simple sautéed vegetables.
For the spice mixture, you can use your favorite Cajun/Creole spice mixture or make your own! This is one of our favorite recipes for a Cajun spice blend.
Cajun-Spiced Cod with Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower
- Large pot
- Baking sheet
- 1½ pound cod fillet
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower:
- 1 head of cauliflower trimmed and cut into large florets
- 3 Yukon gold potatoes peeled and quartered
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup milk more or less depending on desired consistency
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons neutral cooking oil more if needed
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms scrubbed, trimmed, and quartered
- 2 zucchini trimmed and diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- A sprinkle more of Cajun seasoning
Prepare Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower:
- Place the cauliflower and potatoes in a large pot of salted water. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes until tender. Drain.
- Transfer to a large bowl (or food processor or blender) and add the butter, milk, mascarpone cheese, cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning. Blend with an immersion blender (or in the food processor or blender) until desired consistency is reached. Adding more milk if desired. Taste and season to your preferences. Keep warm.
- As you boil the potatoes and cauliflower, prepare the cod. First, preheat oven to 400ºF. Pat the cod dry and season with salt and pepper all over. Combine the melted butter with the Cajun seasoning and stir to incorporate.
- Place the cod on a foil-lined baking sheet and pour half the butter mixture over the cod and use a spoon or brush to rub the cod all over with the mixture. Flip and pour the remaining butter mixture over the cod.
- Transfer the cod to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until flaky. If desired, transfer the cod to the broiler for a 2-3 minutes to crisp up the edges. Remove from the oven and keep warm.
Prepare the Sautéed Vegetables:
- As the cod is cooking, prepare the vegetables. Heat the neutral cooking oil in a skillet over medium high heat until very hot. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring regularly, for 7-10 minutes or until the mushrooms are golden brown. Add the zucchini and season all over with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until the zucchini is fork-tender and not overcooked. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the cheesy mashed cauliflower between shallow bowls and pile the sautéed vegetables on top. Cut the cod into four portions and serve on top. Drizzle with a touch of extra virgin olive oil and then, sprinkle of Cajun seasoning, if desired. Enjoy!