This creamy crab and mushroom farro recipe is rich, flavorful and loaded with vegetables like arugula and mushrooms combined with tender farro.
I absolutely love a good farro recipe. It’s an amazing grain that is tender and chewy and super filling. It can be used as a risotto or in broth, like in this Swordfish with Brothy Farro Recipe. It’s just a wonderfully versatile grain that works well with any flavor profile!
In this creamy crab and mushroom farro recipe, you prepare the creamy crab and mushroom sauce as the farro boils. Once the farro is tender, toss it in the sauce and let it soak up the cream broth for a bit and then enjoy it with a sprinkle of sea salt and a drizzle of oil. I use mustard oil because the extra kick really complements the cream sauce. You could finish with a touch of extra virgin olive oil too!
How to Make this Creamy Crab and Mushroom Farro Recipe:
Making this recipe is a breeze. You’ll start by bringing a big pot of salted water to a boil. Once it’s boiling, add the farro and let it boil for about 30 minutes until tender. Drain and rinse.
While the farro is boiling, prepare the sauce. Simply sauté leeks, red chili pepper (or red pepper flakes) and mushrooms in butter until the mushrooms are golden brown and the leeks are tender.
Add chicken or vegetable stock and bring it to a boil until it reduces. From there, it’s just a matter of adding parsley, cream, crab, and arugula and letting it cook until the arugula is wilted and the cream is thickened. Toss in the drained farro and you’re all done!
Looking for more pescatarian recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Creamy Crab and Mushroom Farro
- Large pot
- 1 cup farro
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 leek trimmed, rinsed, and sliced into rounds
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 red Fresno chili pepper trimmed and minced (or use crushed red pepper)
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock plus more, if needed
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley minced; a pinch reserved for garnish
- 5 ounces arugula
- 16 ounces jumbo lump crab meat
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook the Farro:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the farro and boil for 30 minutes until tender. Drain and rinse and set aside.
Cook the Vegetables:
- Melt the butter into a wide pot over medium heat. Add the leeks and mushrooms and cook for 8-9 minutes until the mushrooms are golden brown. Add the garlic and minced chili pepper and cook for 45 seconds until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper.
Simmer the Sauce:
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes until reduced.
Finish the Sauce:
- Pour in the cream and turn the heat to medium until bubbling, but not boiling. Cook for 5-7 minutes more until the cream is thickened. If you'd like a thinner sauce, add more stock as desired, in 1/4 cup increments.
- Add the arugula and crab and cook for 5 minutes until the arugula is just wilted. Add the farro and stir to combine. Cook for 3-5 minutes more until the cream is thickened. Taste and season again to your preferences.
- Divide the farro between shallow bowls and garnish with parsley and a drizzle of oil, if desired. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt, optional. Enjoy!