This easy crockpot chicken curry allows you to step away from the kitchen and allow all the beautiful, spicy, rich flavors to meld together. This is probably one of my favorites of all crockpot recipes.Jump to Recipe
Truth be told, I am not a huge crockpot recipe fan. You’ve probably noticed on my website that I have precisely one crockpot recipe. I find the hands-off nature of crockpot cooking to be a bit unappealing. I like cooking fast and cooking over high heat and sizzle sizzle, wham bam, gotta go fast!
For me, sitting back while a crockpot does all the work just makes me sad. Now all that said, I was under a very high-pressure deadline this week (did I tell you all I was writing a cookbook?) and I simply didn’t have time to cook, but I had set out chicken breasts that I needed to use. I thought to myself, “this is it. the crockpot’s time to shine!” And so, this easy crockpot chicken curry was born. I have to admit, as much as I like hovering over the food as it cooks, it was quite nice to sit my tush on the couch while all the magic continued to happen in the crockpot.
You can serve this crockpot curry over rice or with naan or with roasted cauliflower for a low-carb option. I would also recommend throwing in some chicken soup bones if you can find them since chicken breasts tend to be a bit dry. Or do a mix of chicken breasts and chicken thighs just to get a bit of fat in there.
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed
Easy Crockpot Chicken Curry
- Slow cooker
- Saucepan with lid
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or 4 breasts and 4 skinless thighs)
- 1 pound chicken soup bones omit, if you can't find them
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 yellow onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne powder
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons honey optional
- 2 tablespoons butter optional
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
Prepare the Crockpot Chicken Curry:
- Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper.
- In a slow cooker, combine the tomatoes and chicken stock. Add all the remaining ingredients, except the honey and butter and stir to combine. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken breasts and the soup bones, if using, into the sauce. Cover and cook over high heat for 4 hours.
Shred the Chicken:
- After 4 hours, remove and discard the soup bones.
- Remove the chicken breasts and transfer to a bowl and shred into bite-sized pieces.
Finish the Sauce:
- Taste the sauce and season to your preferences. Add the butter and the honey and stir to combine. Return the shredded chicken to the sauce and cook, uncovered, over high for 30 minutes. Turn off the slow cooker.
Prepare the Rice:
- Before serving, prepare the rice. Combine the rice, oil, water, salt, and mustard seeds in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir once, cover, and reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the rice is tender. Turn off the heat and allow the rice to rest, covered, for 5-10 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- Divide the cooked rice between bowls and sprinkle with a few more black mustard seeds, if desired. Spoon the curry on top and enjoy!