Easy gnocchi in parmesan broth is a perfect vegetarian dinner option that is not too rich or decadent, but still holds its own a cold night!Jump to Recipe
Gnocchi is one of my favorite weeknight meals especially when I’m feeling in a slump and this gnocchi in parmesan broth comes together so quickly and so easily that it will be a guaranteed hit.
The secret in this gnocchi recipe is parmesan rinds. If you buy a block of parmesan, be sure to keep your rinds to throw into broth or soups as they melt down and add intense flavor! If you don’t have any parmesan rinds, you can check your local grocer as occasionally stores will sell rinds for a few dollars. Or you can just buy a big block of parmesan and cut those rinds off and throw them in! Either way, this deliciously rich parmesan broth with gnocchi and broccolini will leaving you feel full and satisfied.
For the vegetables in this gnocchi parmesan dish, I used broccolini since it cooks up fast, but you can also use asparagus or sugar snap peas depending on what’s in season or what’s available to you.
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed
Easy Gnocchi in Parmesan Broth
- Large pot
- 16 ounces fresh store-bought gnocchi
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2-3 small Parmesan rinds
- 1 bunch broccolini trimmed and cut into bite-sized florets
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh parsley minced, for garnish
- Extra virgin olive oil as needed
- Salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste
Cook the Gnocchi:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the gnocchi and cook for 3-4 minutes until they float and are tender. Drain, rinse, and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Set aside.
Prepare the Aromatics:
- As you wait for the water to boil, heat the cooking oil in a wide pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the diced onion and cook, stirring often, for 5-6 minutes until softened and beginning to brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant, being careful not to burn it.
- Melt the butter into the onions. Once melted and frothy, add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they turn a deep golden brown and crisp up around the edges, about 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.
Finish the Parmesan Broth:
- Pour in the chicken stock and scrape up any fond stuck to the bottom. Add the parmesan rinds and season again to your preferences. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until the broth has reduced a bit and the parmesan rinds are very soft.
Add Gnocchi and Broccolini:
- Remove and discard the parmesan rinds. Bring the broth back to a very low boil and then add the broccolini and cook for 1 minute. Reduce heat and add the cooked gnocchi and simmer for 2 minutes or until the broccolini is bright green. Stir in the lemon juice and turn off the heat.
- Divide the gnocchi and broth between bowls and garnish with extra virgin olive oil, fresh parsley, and more shredded parmesan cheese, if desired. Enjoy!