This easy paprika chicken with tomatoes will be your dinner go-to. Crispy chicken is served with arugula, rice, and is topped with smoky paprika butter.
Easy Paprika Chicken with Tomatoes
- Oven-proof skillet
Tomatoes and Arugula:
- 1 yellow onion peeled and minced
- 1 Yukon gold potato small-diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes Campari tomatoes, or a mix, halved
- 4 ounces baby arugula
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooked white rice optional
Prepare the Chicken:
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Pat the chicken dry and season all over with salt and pepper. In an ovenproof skillet, heat the neutral cooking oil over medium-high until very hot. Add the chicken, skin-side down, and cook for 5-6 minutes until golden brown and very crispy. Flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Drain and discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat in the skillet.
Prepare the Paprika Butter:
- Add the butter to a small sauce pan. Turn the heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the butter begins to deepen in color and has a nutty, aromatic smell. Once the butter browns, turn off the heat and pour the butter into a heatproof bowl. Allow the butter to cool for about 5-10 minutes while the chicken cooks.
- After 10 minutes, add the paprikas, crushed red pepper, and garlic powder and stir to combine. Set aside.
Cook the Aromatics:
- Turn the skillet to medium heat. Add the diced onion and diced potato and cook for 6-7 minutes until the potato turns golden-brown.
- Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until they begin to soften slightly. Turn off the heat.
Bake the Paprika Chicken:
- Nestle the chicken thighs into the tomatoes. Pour the paprika butter over the entire dish, ensuring that the chicken is well coated with the butter.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer reaches 165ºF.
Finish the Paprika Chicken:
- Remove the skillet from the oven and transfer to the stove. Transfer the chicken thighs to a plate.
- Turn the heat on the skillet to medium. Once bubbly, add the arugula and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, if needed. Stir to incorporate and cook for about 5 minutes or until the arugula is wilted. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the tomatoes and arugula over cooked rice, if desired, and serve with the chicken thighs on top. Enjoy!