This vegan roasted celery and potato soup is a great way to use up scrap veggies! This vegan soup recipe is a take on my favorite childhood soup.
Storytime! The first time I made this soup is when I was a teen. It’s my dad’s recipe, and he told me “JUST ONE CUP OF ELBOWS” before he left for work, but me being the carb monster that I am, decided that he was wrong and added the whole box. And that’s how I’ll never live down the cement soup tragedy where we couldn’t even get the spoon out of the pot.
This vegan version is much better than my first attempt 20 years ago! Usually, my dad would make it with potatoes, mushrooms, heavy cream, and elbows. To get big flavor plus creaminess without the dairy, I roasted celery first and then blended it with potatoes and some of the soup liquid and added it back to the soup. The finished product was SO good, and it’s such a great, cheap vegan soup recipe to throw together. If you aren’t vegan or dairy-free, you can certainly add a few splashes of cream at the end of cooking!
How to make this vegan roasted celery and potato soup recipe:
For this recipe, you need just a few ingredients:
- A stalk of celery (about 10 ribs)
- Yukon gold potatoes
- Cremini mushrooms
- Dry thyme
- Water or vegetable stock
- Elbow pasta
You can add more to this soup depending on your preferences. Try caramelizing an onion or adding minced garlic. This potato soup recipe would be great with carrots or sweet potatoes! You can add a can of beans to it for a bit of protein, too!
To make this recipe, simply roast the celery. Meanwhile, cook the ingredients for the soup in batches. Start by sautéing the mushrooms. Then add diced potatoes and dry thyme. Pour in water or vegetable stock and simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender.
From there, throw half the potatoes into a food processor along with the roasted celery and a bit of liquid from the pot. Blend until pureed. To finish it up, add bring the soup back to a boil and add the celery puree and the pasta. Boil until al dente. That’s it!
Roasted Celery and Potato Soup
- Large pot
- Baking sheet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 stalk of celery about 10 ribs, root part trimmed off and discarded
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes peeled and diced
- 5 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 2 teaspoons dry thyme
- 7 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 cup elbow pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
For serving, optional:
- Paprika or chile flakes
- Fresh dill or parsley
- Extra virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Roast the celery:
- Cut the celery into thirds and arrange on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven for 30 minutes.
Cook the mushrooms and potatoes:
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large pot. Add the mushrooms and cook for 8-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt, and pepper, and add the dry thyme. Cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
Simmer the soup:
- Pour in the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Blend the potatoes and celery:
- Once the potatoes are fork-tender, scoop out half them from the pot and transfer them to a food processor. Add roasted celery and a few spoonfuls of the hot broth and blend until puréed.
Cook the pasta:
- Bring the soup back to a boil. Add the elbows and puréed celery and potatoes and cook until the pasta is al dente. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with dill, silk chili, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil if you like. Enjoy!