This vegetarian udon with spicy peanut sauce is the definitive (and delicious!) quick dinner night recipe.
I actually developed a vegetarian udon recipe and a meat-based udon recipe. I have to say, I actually give the vegetarian udon recipe a star or two higher than the meaty counterpart. The finished product is just so spicy and filled with peanutty goodness. My other favorite part of this udon recipe is the spicy peanut sauce AND the crunchy radish garnish which is just freshly sliced radishes and scallions tossed with a bit of sesame oil and flaky sea salt.
Vegetarian Udon Noodles with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Large pot
- 16 ounces dry udon noodles cooked according to package instructions and drained
- 4 scallions thinly sliced, white and light green parts separated
- 2 stalks celery with leaves stalks sliced thinly on an angel and leaves roughly chopped
- 4 small radishes trimmed and thinly sliced into rounds
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- ⅓ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons chili oil more or less to taste, depending on spice preference
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Salt to taste
- 2 eggs
- More chili oil optional
Prepare the peanut sauce:
- In a bowl, whisk the peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons sesame oil, and 2 teaspoons chili oil until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust ingredients as necessary. Set aside.
Prepare the soft-boiled eggs:
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the egg and cook for exactly 6 minutes. Drain and rinse the egg under cold water. Carefully peel and cut in half.
Prepare the garnish:
- In a bowl, combine the dark green parts of the scallions with the radishes. Drizzle with two teaspoons sesame oil and toss to coat. Season with flaky sea salt and the toasted sesame seeds and toss. Set aside.
Finish the udon noodles:
- In a large bowl, combine the noodles with the white parts of the scallions, the sliced celery, and the roughly chopped celery leaves and toss to combine. Pour the spicy peanut sauce all over and toss to coat. Taste and season according to your tastes.
- Divide the udon noodles between bowls and pile the radish garnish on top of each bowl of noodles. Serve with a soft-boiled egg, a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds, and a drizzle more of chili oil if desired. Enjoy!