This white bean salad with pears is an unbelievably easy recipe to whip up and its versatility is unmatched.
This white bean salad is spring on platter. It’s filled to the brim with dressed white beans, spinach, and walnuts and topped with pears and celery. The salad is finished with beautifully blanched asparagus for a perfect ode to spring!
The best part of this salad? It’s ridiculously easy to prepare and it’s so versatile! Try it with these substitutions:
- Cannellini Beans: Chickpeas, navy beans, great northern beans, corona beans or try it with a grain like quinoa, freekeh, farro, or even a pasta, like pearled couscous or orzo
- Pears: Apples or nectarines
- Walnuts: Pecans or pumpkin seeds
- Spinach: Arugula
- Asparagus: Brussels sprouts or green beans
How to Make this Bean Salad with Pears:
First, start with the beans. Dress drained and rinsed cannellini beans, baby spinach, and walnut pieces with orange juice and zest. Add a sprinkle of Aleppo pepper for just a nip of heat. If you don’t have Aleppo pepper, use cayenne powder or crushed red pepper. Sensitive to heat? Add a sprinkle of paprika.
While the beans marinate, prepare the pears. Half the pears and scoop out the seeds. Thinly slice lengthwise and toss with sliced celery and a few celery leaves. Add lemon juice, salt and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Finally, prepare the asparagus. Simply bring a pot of water to a boil and add the asparagus stalks (you can cut them if you prefer!) Cook for 2-3 minutes until bright green. Do not overcook! Drain and transfer to a bowl and cover with ice for about 6-7 minutes until cooled off.
Lastly, all you need to do is plate up this beautiful bean salad with pears. Arrange the beans and spinach on a platter and pile the pears on top. Arrange the asparagus on top of everything. Finish with a sprinkle of pepper and more Aleppo pepper if you like!
Looking for more vegan recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed!
White Bean Salad with Pears
- Medium pot
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 3 ounces baby spinach
- ½ cup walnuts lightly crushed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 orange juiced and zested
- ½ teaspoon Aleppo pepper or crushed red pepper; optional
- 2 Bosc pears trimmed seeded and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 lemon juiced
- 3 ribs celery trimmed and thinly sliced and leaves torn
- 1 pound asparagus woody ends trimmed
- Salt and pepper to taste
Dress the beans:
- Combine the beans, spinach, and walnuts in a bowl. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and add the orange juice and zest. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add the Aleppo pepper if using and toss to coat. Set aside.
Prepare the pears and celery:
- Place the pears in a second bowl and coat with the lemon juice. Add the celery and drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt and set aside.
Cook the asparagus:
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook for just 2 to 3 minutes until bright green. Do not overcook the asparagus! Drain and immediately cover with ice in the colander. Allow to cool for 5 minutes until the asparagus cools down.
- Arrange the dressed beans, spinach, and walnuts on a serving platter and arrange the pears and celery on top. Arrange half the asparagus on one side of the platter and half on the opposite side. Sprinkle with black pepper and more Aleppo pepper, if you like. Enjoy!