Celery is so underrated but gets the spotlight in this simple farro in celery broth recipe. Add this to your library of best celery recipes! The celery leaves, in addition to fresh herbs, add just the right amount of aromatic punch to this meal.
I love celery in anything but this brothy farro is an easy way to spotlight this wonder aromatic. Celery can be somewhat subtle in flavor. But, if you throw in those minced celery leaves and they add just the right amount of amplification.
How to Make this Simple Farro Recipe in Celery Broth:
Ready for a surprise? This recipe can pretty much be thrown together in about 30-35 minutes, end to end. Seriously. You just need to slice an onion, dice up some celery, and chop some herbs.
But first, prepare the farro. Pearled farro really only takes about 20-25 minutes to prepare. It will be a little chewy, but that’s what makes it so delicious.
Next, cook the aromatics. Start with the onion. It does not need to be browned, just softened. Next, add the diced celery and the celery leaves. Add the tomatoes and the stock and bring to a boil.
Simmer the broth for 20-25 minutes as the farro cooks. Lastly, throw in fresh herbs like basil, parsley, thyme, chives, or even tarragon and lemon juice. Let it mingle for a bit and turn off the heat.
Ladle that beautiful veggie broth over the cooked farro and that’s it! One of the easiest and most delicious celery recipes ever.
Looking for more vegan recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed!
Simple Farro in Celery Broth
- Medium pot
- Wide pot
- 1 cup farro rinsed
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 ribs celery with leaves trimmed and diced
- 1 tablespoon plant-based butter optional
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes or use 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup loosely packed chopped fresh mixed herbs such as basil, chives, or parsley
- 1 lemon juiced
- Salt pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste
Cook the farro:
- Bring 3 cups of salted water to a boil in a medium pot. Add the farro, reduce heat, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes until tender. Drain and rinse.
Start the celery broth:
- In a wide pot, heat the avocado oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until just beginning to soften about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the celery and celery leaves and cook for 5 minutes until fragrant. If using, melt the plant-based butter into the pot until frothy. Season with salt and pepper and add a pinch of crushed red pepper.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for 4 minutes until the skins just barely begin to split open.
Simmer the broth:
- Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Finish the celery broth:
- Stir in the chopped fresh herbs and lemon juice and cook until bright green, about 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the cooked farro between bowls and ladle the broth on top. Enjoy!