We served these rice bowls with simple, quick-braised shiitake mushrooms and delicious, spicy stir-fried green beans. This is a healthy, flavorful dinner that is easy to mix and match depending on your preference!
Chinese Five Spice Rice Bowls with Vegetables
- Skillet or wok
Purple Sweet Potatoes:
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms stems discarded and caps sliced
- 1 tablespoon neutral cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce more or less to taste
- 2 tablespoons water more or less as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chili garlic sauce and sesame seeds optional
- Combine the rice, butter, sesame oil, water, and a sprinkle of salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and then stir once, cover, and reduce heat to very low. Cook for 16-18 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Turn off the heat and rest the rice for 5-10 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
Prepare the Sweet Potatoes:
- In a skillet or a wok, heat the neutral cooking oil over medium-high until hot. Once shimmering and very hot, add the sweet potato and cook, flipping occasionally, until well-browned all over and almost fork tender, about 8-10 minutes. Add the sliced pepper along with the Chinese Five Spice and the sesame oil and toss to coat. Cook an additional 4-5 minutes until completely cooked through. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
Prepare the Mushrooms:
- Keep the heat on the skillet or wok at medium and add the 1 tablespoon neutral cooking oil. Once hot, add the sliced shiitake mushrooms. Cook, stirring regularly, for 6-8 minutes or until the mushrooms begin to turn golden brown. If more liquid is needed, add a splash of water to release any browned bits stuck to the skillet.
- Once the mushrooms have released and re-absorbed any liquid in the skillet and they are golden brown, add the soy sauce and water and scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom. Turn the heat to low and cook an additional 5-7 minutes, tossing the mushrooms in the sauce periodically. Add more liquid as necessary and to taste (soy sauce or water). Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed. Transfer the mushrooms and any liquid to a bowl and keep warm.
Prepare the Green Beans:
- Finally, return the skillet to medium heat. Add the neutral cooking oil and sesame oil and once hot, add the green beans. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes until tender. If there are bits stuck to the skillet, add a splash of water along with the chili garlic sauce and toss to coat. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the rice between bowls and arrange the sweet potatoes, mushrooms, and green beans on top. Garnish with more chili garlic sauce, if desired, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Enjoy!