A simple, spicy ground chicken and mushrooms with chive blossoms is the perfect late spring dinner – easy to prepare with plenty of light and aromatic garlic and onion flavors.
Flowering chives may have fully blossomed flowers, which are a light purple color. These chive blossoms are completely edible (with a light oniony flavor) and can be used to garnish the dish.
If you can’t find chives with blossoms, use regular Chinese chives or regular chives if necessary.
For this dish, we felt the chicken and chive blossoms worked so well together while the Thai chili peppers helped add a fair amount of heat in this spicy ground chicken and mushrooms recipe.
Spicy Ground Chicken and Mushrooms with Chive Blossoms
- Deep sauté pan
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons neutral cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Broth and Mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons neutral cooking oil plus more if necessary
- 1 shallot peeled and minced
- 2-3 Thai chili peppers depending on spice preference, trimmed and minced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt to taste
- 6 chives with blossoms chives minced and blossoms trimmed off and set aside
- Combine the uncooked rice with butter and 2 cups water and a sprinkle of salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir once. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 16-18 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the rice to rest for 5-10 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- In a deep sauté pan, heat the 2 teaspoons cooking oil with the sesame oil and turn the heat to medium. Add the ground chicken and cook, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon, for 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is browned and cooked through. Add the rice vinegar and the salt and pepper and stir to combine. Transfer the chicken to a bowl.
Prepare the Broth:
- In the same pan, heat the 2 teaspoons neutral cooking oil over medium heat until hot. Add the shallot and cook for 3-5 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the garlic and minced Thai chilis and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 8-9 minutes or until well-browned all over. If the pan seems dry, add a touch more cooking oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add the soy sauce and scrape any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Pour in the chicken stock and add the mirin. Add the chicken to the broth and bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Taste and season to your preference.
- Divide the cooked rice between shallow bowls and ladle the broth and chicken on top. Garnish with chive blossoms and the freshly minced chives. Enjoy!