This creamy shrimp and asparagus takes less than 30 minutes to throw together and tastes so delicious. The dish is ramped up with lemon and smoked paprika for a quick, tasty weeknight dinner.
This creamy shrimp and asparagus recipe is so simple! The steps are to first, simply fry up an onion until golden brown. Next, add a little butter and vegetable stock. Then, add a slurry of flour and stir to incorporate for a velvety, thick sauce. Then, add cream, asparagus, cannellini beans, shrimp, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and a little lemon juice and let it simmer for 5-7 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper and voila! Your creamy asparagus and shrimp is ready to serve.
The smoked paprika really adds a nice sweet, smoky flavor to the dish that takes it to another level. If you’re not a fan of smoky flavors, simply omit or add regular or hot paprika depending on your preference.
This shrimp and asparagus recipe is endlessly versatile. You could use any number or proteins, including chicken, tofu, or fish. And you can exchange the vegetables for what you have on hand, such as broccoli florets, sugar snap peas, or even sliced bell peppers.
It is such a simple and delicious recipe and I am sure your family will love it! Please let me know you liked this recipe by rating the recipe below or dropping a note in the comments. If you decide to make this delicious dish, please tag me on Instagram, so I can feature it on my feed! Alternatively, visit my recipe archive for even more easy, elegant recipes you can make any day of the week!
Creamy Shrimp and Asparagus
- Wide skillet
- 2 teaspoons neutral cooking oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ⅓ cup heavy cream plus more if desired
- 1 pound asparagus spears halved or cut into thirds
- 15 ounce can of cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 pound shrimp
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika to taste
Cook the Onion:
- Heat the neutral oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes or until it begins to soften and just turn golden around the edges.
- Melt the butter into the onion. Once frothy, add the stock and bring to a boil.
Make the Slurry:
- Remove 1/4 cup of the boiling stock and whisk in 1 tablespoon of flour. Once smooth and incorporated, pour it back into the pot and stir to combine.
Finish the Sauce:
- Add the heavy cream, asparagus, and cannellini beans and season all over with salt, pepper, and a few shakes of garlic powder. Bring to a low boil and reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. If the sauce seems too thick, add a little water and whisk to incorporate.
Cook the Shrimp:
- Pat the shrimp dry and season all over with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Add the shrimp the sauce and cook for 4-5 minutes or until they are opaque. Taste and season with salt, pepper, and more smoked paprika. Stir in the lemon juice and cook for 1 minute. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the creamy shrimp and asparagus between bowls and serve with lemon wedges, if desired. Enjoy!