This easy pasta with mushrooms and tomatoes gets punched up with a bit of sweet vermouth for a perfect mouth-watering weeknight dinner.
Easy Pasta with Mushrooms and Tomatoes
- Large pot
- 4 ounces pancetta diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 head of garlic peeled and minced
- 1 large shallot peeled and minced
- 1 red Fresno chili pepper trimmed and minced (seeds removed, if desired)
- 8 ounces mixed fresh mushrooms oyster, baby bella, or shiitake, chopped
- 1 pound campari tomatoes quartered
- 2 tablespoons sweet vermouth or white wine or chicken stock
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 16 ounces spaghetti or linguine
- ½ cup reserved pasta cooking water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of sugar to taste
- Freshly minced parsley optional, for garnish
Prepare the Pasta:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package instructions. Reserve ½ cup of pasta cooking water and then drain the pasta.
Prepare the Pancetta:
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. To a wide sauté pan, add the diced pancetta and turn the heat to medium. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until all the fat has rendered. Remove the pancetta with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl.
Prepare the Sauce Base:
- Melt the butter over medium heat in the rendered pancetta fat. Add the minced garlic, shallot, and chili pepper and cook for about 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are well-browned, about 7-8 minutes. Adjust the heat as necessary to avoid burning the garlic.
- Pour in the sweet vermouth and scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the quartered tomatoes and cook for 5-7 minutes more or until beginning to soften. Season everything with salt and pepper to taste.
Finish the Sauce:
- Return the pancetta back to the pan and pour in the chicken stock and reserved pasta cooking water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until thickened and reduced. Add more water or stock as necessary. Taste and season to your preferences.
Finish the Pasta:
- Toss the pasta with the sauce over low heat for 1-2 minutes or until the pasta is coated with the sauce. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the pasta between bowls and garnish with parsley if desired. Enjoy!