This easy poached trout with spring vegetables is your new favorite low-carb dinner option. It’s bright and full of flavor and only takes 30 minutes!
Easy Poached Trout with Spring Vegetables
- Wide sauté pan
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot peeled and sliced into wedges
- 1 fennel bulb cored and sliced into wedges stalks sliced into rounds, fonds reserved
- 4 stalks celery trimmed and thinly sliced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 15- ounce can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas cut in half or shelled
- ½ cup loosely packed parsley leaves roughly chopped
- ¼ cup fresh dill chopped
- 4 4- ounce skinless trout fillets patted dry and seasoned with salt and pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon juiced
- ¼ of a watermelon radish peeled and thinly sliced
- Microgreens optional for serving
- Extra virgin olive oil optional, for garnish
Cook the Vegetables:
- Heat the butter in a wide sauté pan over medium heat until melted and frothy. Add the shallot, sliced fennel bulb, sliced fennel stalks, and celery and cook for 4-5 minutes or until just beginning to soften.
Prepare the Soup:
- Add the vegetable stock and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Finish the Soup:
- Add the sugar snap peas, parsley, and dill. Nestle the trout fillets into the broth, cover, and cook for 5-7 minutes or until bright green and the trout is cooked through and opaque. Turn off the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with sliced watermelon radish and microgreens, if desired. Place a trout fillet on top and serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, if desired. Enjoy!