This green curry shrimp and green beans is spicy and fragrant but coconut and a mint garnish helps cool it off. You’ll love green curry shrimp with noodles!
This green curry shrimp and green beans is based loosely off a Bon Appétit recipe I found, however, since I am still quarantine cooking because of COVID-19, I needed to make this recipe quarantine-friendly with the ingredients I had on hand. You can certainly add more authentic ingredients if you have them, such as lemongrass and shrimp paste.
My green curry is a very simplified version that, while not completely authentic, it will still hit the spot for nights when you’re craving a bowl of green curry!
If you decide to use store-bought green curry paste, it will work just fine! Simply fry into a bit of oil until fragrant and then add the chicken stock and continue on with the recipe as usual.
You can adjust the heat of this recipe by reducing the number of jalapeños. We used three jalapeños and while it was a bit past my spice threshold, my husband loved it!
For the green beans, you can use any green vegetable or combination of vegetables you like, such as:
- Sugar snap peas
- Sliced bell peppers
- Broccoli florets
- Baby bok choy
- Sliced carrots
It’s such an easy recipe for a night in! I served this over cooked rice noodles but you could also ladle this delicious broth over cooked rice or soba noodles and it would be delicious.
If you made this green curry shrimp and noodles recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Green Curry Shrimp and Green Beans
- 2 large pots
- Food processor
Green Curry Paste:
- 1 tablespoon ginger freshly minced
- 1 yellow onion peeled and quartered
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 jalapeños trimmed
- ½ cup fresh cilantro and/or basil (omit if you don't have it)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
Shrimp and Green Beans
- 12 ounces green beans trimmed
- 16 ounces rice noodles
- 2 teaspoons neutral cooking oil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 15 ounces coconut milk
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 mint leaves torn
- ½ lime juiced
- ⅓ cup cashews or peanuts crushed
- Lime rounds
Prepare the Green Curry Paste:
- Combine all the ingredients for the curry paste in a food processor and pulse until blended. Set aside.
Blanch the Green Beans:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook for 1-3 minutes until bright green and tender-crisp. Drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. Wipe out the pot and return it to the stove.
Cook the Noodles:
- In another pot, bring water to a boil and cook the noodles according to package instructions. Drain and rinse and set aside.
Prepare the Green Curry:
- Heat the neutral cooking oil in the same pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the green curry paste and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chicken stock and stir to incorporate the paste into the liquid. Bring to a boil and taste and season with salt and pepper. Add the coconut milk and cook for 5 minutes to thicken.
Cook the Shrimp:
- Turn the pot to medium heat. Add the shrimp to the pot and cook for 5-6 minutes until almost completely cooked through. Add the green beans and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Taste and season to your preferences. Turn off the heat.
Prepare the Garnish:
- Before serving, combine the lime juice, cashews, and mint leaves in a bowl and use the back of a spoon to muddle the ingredients together. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Divide the cooked noodles between bowls and ladle the green curry on top. Garnish with the mint leaves and cashews and serve with lime rounds. Enjoy!