While we love a good seared scallop, these poached scallops in spicy dashi broth are unbelievably delicious – with no frying necessary.
I absolutely love sea scallops. They’re so buttery and have just the perfect amount of sweetness to them. Best of all, they’re incredibly easy to prepare. Typically, when I have sea scallops on hand, I immediately want to pan-fry them and get that perfect sear, like in this steak and scallops recipe.
For tonight, I actually decided to play around with poaching them and let me just say, I’ve been MISSING OUT. I cannot believe I waited this long to prepare poached scallops. In this recipe, perfectly poached scallops are paired with a spicy dashi broth and cooked barley (or farro!). The dish is topped with microgreens and a chili oil daikon radish garnish.
The result is a dinner that is so unbelievably delicious and SO, SO easy to prepare and substitute ingredients.
How to Make Easy Poached Scallops in Spicy Dashi Broth:
This recipe is so easy to prepare! First, you’ll start by boiling your grains. You can use farro or pearled barley, depending on what you have. You can even try this with brown or white rice. If using rice, cook the rice according to package instructions.
While the barley is boiling, start the broth. You only need a handful ingredients. Start by sautéing a sliced onion. Add garlic, ginger, and sliced Thai chili pepper and cook for just one minute until fragrant. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Next, add prepared dashi broth. You can make homemade dashi broth or use a base, like Hondashi. Finally, season the sauce with a touch of soy sauce, mirin, and sesame oil and simmer for 25 minutes.
Drain the barley and set aside. You’ll prepare the daikon radish by simply peeling a small daikon and finely dicing it. Toss it with chili oil, sesame oil, salt, and a touch of soy sauce.
Finally, poach the scallops. Remove the muscle from the scallops and pat them dry. Season them lightly with salt and transfer to the simmering broth. Cover and cook for about 4-6 minutes until opaque and just cooked through. Turn off the heat.
To serve, divide the barley between shallow bowls and ladle the warm broth on top. Arrange scallops on each dish and pile the spicy radish on top, drizzling a bit of the oil over the dish.
Serve with greens, like minced scallions. I used pea shoots, but any microgreen will do here.
That’s it! It takes about 45 minutes, simply because it takes awhile to fully cook barley, but you’ll have dinner on the table in no time.
Looking for more seafood recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Poached Scallops in Spicy Dashi Broth
- Medium pot
- Wide pot
- 1 cup pearled barley or farro
- 1 tablespoon neutral cooking oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger freshly minced
- 2-3 Thai chili peppers trimmed and minced
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups prepared dashi stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pound dry sea scallops side muscle removed
- Minced scallion, pea shoots, or microgreens optional, for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
Daikon Radish Garnish:
- 1 small daikon radish peeled and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chili oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Flaky sea salt optional
Cook the Barley:
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the barley and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook over a vigorous simmer for 30-35 minutes. Check the barley after 25 minutes and cook until the barley is tender yet chewy. Turn off the heat and drain the barley.
Prepare the Broth:
- While the barley is cooking, prepare the dashi broth. Heat the oil in a wide pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5-7 minutes until softened and beginning to brown.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and Thai chili pepper and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Pour in the prepared dashi stock, soy sauce, mirin, and sesame oil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes. Taste and season with salt, if necessary.
Prepare the Chili Oil Daikon Radish:
- Combine the finely diced daikon radish with chili oil, sesame oil, salt, and soy sauce and toss to combine. Set aside.
Cook the Scallops:
- Taste the broth and season again to your preferences. Pat the scallops dry and season lightly with salt. Nestle the scallops in the broth. Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes until opaque and cooked through. Turn off the heat and remove the lid.
- Divide the cooked barley between shallow bowls and ladle the broth on top. Arrange the scallops on each dish and garnish with the daikon radish, spooning a bit of the chili oil from the radish over the scallops. Arrange scallions or pea shoots on each dish. Enjoy!